chicago music shops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jun 23, 2004.

1. im taking a trip with my family this summer to go to michigan and while we are in michigan we are going to go to chicago for a couple of days does any body know any good music shops in chicago there are a ton so please help me out!!
  2. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Heh, im in chicago, but i dont spend as much time in the city as id like to....

If your looking for "standard" shops like GC and sam ash and such, i can help ya out there, but as far as high end places, i was actually gonna post a question myself.
  3. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Chicago Music Exchange! 3270 N. Clark. I get off the red line at Belmont and walk a few blocks (south, I think, toward Tabootabu and the Alley) on Clark. Coolest store ever, but you can't buy anything unless you're filthy rich. :( Mostly old Fenders.

Guitar Center isn't too far from there, I think it's 2600-ish N. Halsted, but I've never had a good experience there. So boo on them.

There's a tiny little shop on S. Michigan Ave. right across from the Art Institute full of violins and cellos and some other weird stuff. I've only been in there a couple times, but it's fun to check out the stuff in the windows.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lakland! 2044 N. Dominick
  5. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone know of any shops around chicago that carrys a decent amount of cirri (peavey cirrus)? The sam ash around my place used to have like 6 of em, they all sold, and now sam ash doesnt believe me that if they bought more those would sell too (or so they say).

And yet theyre still trying to sell that stingray 4 for 1200 bucks....yeah the one that has the chip toughly the size of my hand in it...its been there for 3 years...

: \
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  7. does any body know any places that sell epiphone/gibson products in chicago?
  8. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    GC and Sam Ash carry a whole bunch of gibson/epiphones (at least guitars...)

As far as basses....i know ive seen a few epiphones at GC, none at sam ash...
  9. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Make'n Music. 250 N. Artesian. Chicago, IL 60612. 312- 455-1970

They stock Mike Lull, LakLand, Sadowsky and Modulus
  10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

I try to skip Guitar Center and Sam Ash whenever possible. Not my kind of sales experience. 400% sales person turnover per year tells me something is wrong there. Make N' Music over on Artesian is cool. Nice stuff, knowledgeable sales people. Otherwise I order my stuff from Beaver at BassCentral in Florida. Good guys down there, even nicer stuff.
  11. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Of course...I'm in Chicago :D, but these are some other stores that are worth checking out if you have the time:

Make N Music-city
    Chicago Music Exchange-city
    Guitar Works-Evanston
    Flynn Guitars-Evanston
  12. Make'n Music does not stock Mike Lull or Sadowsky. In addition to Lakland, they stock Fender, MTD, Spector, Rob Allen, and Modulus. They may also have a PRS bass. They only have a few of each of these basses. Their total stock of basses is probably limited to about 20-25. Also, I had a significantly negative experience buying a bass from them after being a loyal customer for years. Buyer beware.
  13. Dang, I wish I'd had the chance to check out some of those stores when I was in Chicago a few weeks ago...

Anyway, you say you're going to Michigan; if you're gonna be anywhere near Detroit, there are a few stores you shouldn't miss. Low Down Sound in Ferndale is my favorite, and better yet, it's a bass-only store. Huber & Breese in Fraser is a cool place too, probably the best multi-instrument store in the area. There are also three Guitar Centers fairly close by (Roseville, Southfield, Canton), the best of which is Southfield. So, unless you're gonna be on the west side of the state the whole time, there are a few options for the Michigan part of your trip too :cool: