Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago People - Help Me Find a Jazz Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Several years ago, I went to Chicago to a little jazz club but for the life of me, I cant remember the name of it. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Its TINY little jazz club. Its below street level, you have to walk down about 5-6 feet to get into it. As you walk in there are some chairs, little further the bar is on the right side. At the back of the club is the band.. Looking towards the back, the piano is on the right side. I'm not sure if its usual, but the drummer sets up behind the piano and the bass player is setup on the left in front of an entrance to a hall way if I remember correctly. The band that we heard there, that I think are the "normal gig", was a quartet. Vocals (a heavier set white woman), piano player (who was black & blind), drummer who looked like he was in his late 70s - 80s (who was black), and a middle aged heavier set man playing bass (who was white).

It was a GREAT little club, had a cool atmosphere and would like to go to it again.

Any help!?!?! Any other clubs I should check out for valentines day next week?

2. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    That was the underground wonder bar, it's on walton between rush street and state street.I used to play there alot a few years ago.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    One of my favorite Chicago Jazz clubs is the "Jazz Showcase" which is (I believe) at Grant and Ohio. It is smoke free, it's been there forever, Lester Young played there! I've seen Roy Haynes and Roy Hargrove there. Not many bad seats either.

4. So that discription sounds alot like the place?

Walton Street does sound familiar.. Very dark place? candles on the tables? theres always a guy walking around with a poleroid camera asking to take pictures of people?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Lester Young played a club called the Jazz Showcase, but not at that location. Joe Segal had clubs all around Chicago, when the rent would get too high he'd move to another place. The current location is a leetle too close to the tourist strip (when I went to hear Stanley Turrentine there was a buncha folks who seemed to think they were in TGIFridays or something), but there are good seats and the staff was kind enough to sit me in a good seat pretty far away from the "talkers".

6. Hmmm, I think I saw Freddie Hubbard at that club once. It was raining really hard that night and it started flooding inside during the show!

Lemme see .... it wasn't The Jazz Hole.

Haha, I still have the stub. It was The Jazz Bulls. That was over 15 years ago though. They may have changed the name by now.

- Dave

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    yeah that the place after giving it a little thought you probably saw kim gordan with chris forman on piano and steve hart on bass they played every tue for a few years www.undergroundwonderbar.com

8. Yeah, I just checked out the photos. Thats the place! I thought it would be a shot in the dark trying to find it again!

I'm going to try to head up to Chicago for Valentines day. I thought that would be a cool little place to go to after dinner. And, since they play on Tuesdays, that'll be perfect.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    A very interesting place to hang,play and listen to music.The owner Lonnie Walker was once married to one of my Uncle's.

10. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    The Bull's closed in the late '90's.on one level i was sorry to see it go because it was a late night musicians hang out and you never knew who was going to be in there,but the long time owner sold the place to a racist idiot who ran the place out of business in about a year.

11. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    really? small world

12. Yeah, it had a kinda cool atmosphere to it. Last time I was there, my date and I stumbled upon it and were pleasantly suprised. The quartet that we listened to definantly had that small club, romantic vibe to it. Parking was easy to find and the seating was easy also. Drink prices werent bad at all.

I checked out their music calendar online, and to be honest, its a bit unorganized. If I'm reading it correctly, 10:30-1:30am is the Lorna Boston Jazz Band and 1:30a-3:30a is an open mike jam (on Valentines Day). Who knows. Maybe I should bring my ax and sit in on the open mike..