Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago teachers/schools, plus...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by misterk73, May 22, 2002.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    After playing by ear for a few years, I've finally decided to take some lessons.

Although my technique could certainly use some polishing, I'm very interested in applied music theory so I can communicate with other musicians better. I also want some help with breaking long-established patterns -- pattenrs that work, but patterns that have seemed stale to me lately. If I need to attach a style to my studies, it seems to me that an understanding of jazz and funk should equip me to handle just about anything that comes my way.

So, any recommendations for teachers or schools in Chicago? Preferably with flexible schedules and reasonable price tags? Any other thoughts?

I'm finding that books aren't cutting it -- I need an instructor to talk this stuff through with and play with. (Accordingly, does it make sense to have a guitar-playing instructor who also understands bass?)

Thanks!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Scott seems like a solid lead. Thanks, Mike.

Unfortunately, Scott's Website says he's based in Indiana. This is unfortunate OnLY because I live in the city of Chicago and am carless. Accordingly, I probably need to find a teacher who lives and/or works in the city.

I wonder if Scott makes it into the city with any regularity and would be willing to pick up a student here? Can't hurt to ask, I guess...

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry about that.

When I met him at the NAMM show a few years ago, he mentioned that he was out of Chicago. Perhaps he thought that it was the most I could understand being from New York and all :D

Mike

5. Scopaz

Scopaz Supporting Member

May 23, 2002
    Chicago & Midwest Area
    Chicago is where all the work is and where I do the bulk of my playing and performing. So it is easier to tell people Chicago or Indianapolis. Obviously, it is not as easy for me to follow a thread with a quick reply all the way in Indiana. It only took 4 years!!!

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Better late than never!