Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago weekend trip...what to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silentstranger, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Well, I'm heading to Chicago this weekend to visit a lady friend. Tourism isn't the purpose of the trip, but I do want to see some of the city while I'm there. What should I make sure not to miss? I'll be there roughly Friday-Sunday. Thanks. :hyper:

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Cool man, I'm actually heading up there on tomorrow. I'm not sure what days I'm going to everything, but there is a blues festival I'm gonna go to. I'm also gonna go to a white sox game and a bus demolition derby. I'm debating about seeing Fleetwood Mac or not. My uncle has a ticket for me, but I'm not a big fan of theirs. So yeah, those are some ideas for you to do.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The Chicago Blues Festival is one of the biggest of it's kind. I wish I could go to it, but I've got too much to do here to even entertain the thought of going.

My parents are gonna be in Chicago this weekend, as well. Also going to the White Sox game.

4. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

5. just go to all the places farris did in Farris Bueller's Day Off, and there you have it.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I would DEFINITELY check out the Blues Festival. The city is really cool, but it's there 365 days a year...the Blues Festival is here only 4 days a year.

Depending on where you're staying, there's a ton to do in Chicago with your lady friend. Are you staying downtown or in the 'burbs? How much time are you planning on doing and seeing Chicago?

If you're into food, the list of restaurants is endless. Check out www.metromix.com for a few ideas. Chicago is really well known for deep dish pizza and hot dogs, but also has some of the best gormet scenes in the US (if that's your bag).

If you're into bars, do you prefer band-bars, dancing clubs, hang out joints, or really popular places?

If you're into shopping (or if the lady friend is), don't miss Michigan Avenue and Oak Street. If you go to Michigan Avenue, check out the top of the John Hancock center and maybe stop up on the 96th floor for a drink!

But the best is the Blues Festival. Bring a blanket, lawn chairs (if you're so inclined) and a cooler of food and beverage. It pretty much runs all day. Chicago Blues Festival :hyper:

EDIT: I'm not 100% certain of this, but I thought I read Fleetwood Mac was cancelled...

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    If possible, try to get out to Luthiers Access Group.

That's only if you want to check out some incredible basses though.

8. I'd like to second RAM's reommendation for the Chicago Blues Festival. It is in Grant Park Thursday through Sunday. If you want to see one of the greatest Female Blues Singers in the world stop by the Main Stage (aka the Petrillo Band Shell) on Friday at 6 pm. Her name is Nora Jean Bruso. She has an incredible ear for the bass. Also, you can stop by and meet her at the Best Buy Tent at 7 pm where she will be signing autographs. I will be happy to introduce you to her. She is my wife.

Mark

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    It would be difficult for me to go to Chicago and not make a pit-stop at the Lakland shop... that's just me though!

P@

10. Well, I'll be leaving for Chi-town pretty shortly; thanks for all the recommendations. I will definitely be checking out the blues festival (at least for as long as the woman can tolerate blues...who knows yet). Here's a list of all the artists and times; however, I know very little about blues...somebody wanna tell me who I gotta make sure to see on Saturday or Sunday? (Mark, I unfortunately won't be able to see your wife's gig; I'll still be on the road at that time :(

I doubt I'll be able to do much bass-related stuff while I'm there, but I'll keep them in mind...RAM, I'll be staying at her place in Winnetka (northern suburb); we haven't figured out exactly how much time we'll be spending in the city proper. I've heard about the 96th floor, I think I'll make a point of that. Signature Lounge, is it?

Fetch, I actually haven't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off...I know, I am ashamed about it... :bag:

Hahaha, you know how it is, man :D :hyper: :smug:

Anyway, I'm gonna end this stream-of-consciousness post and get on the road...feel free to add any more ideas; I'm sure I'll find a couple min to get my TB fix from Illinois :p Peace

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It is the Signature Lounge. Expensive, but unlike any other lounge I've had the pleasure (or mispleasure) to drink in. It ain't cheap, and the service isn't all that great, but that's not why you're there. If the weather decides to cooperate you'll love it!

Winnetka is one of the most beautiful towns in the country, IMO. It's very tame, very upper-middle / upper class suburbia at its finest. Have her drive you down Sheridan Road, just for kicks!

Have a great time!:D

12. check out a cubs or sox game