Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonto_Goldstein, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Did anyone catch Cheap Trick at Navy Pier on New Years Eve? Their bassist was playing, what looked like to my inexperienced eyes, a 12 string bass . Was I drinking too much? Did it really have 12 strings? Does anyone know how makes that bass? I think Hamer makes one but I am not sure...:confused:
  2. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Meant to say "does anyone know WHO makes that bass"

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, I am originally from Chicago and remember seeing bands at Navy Pier, ah.... mamories. Anyways, I have always like Tom Petersons bass playing, although If you like the sound of a twelve string Doug Pinnick (sp) from Kings X used to play one quite a bit on their earlier recordings.
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hamer Guitars started out as a repair/restoration facility, and Paul Hamer's relationship with Cheap Trick was a huge starting point. The original 12-string bass was designed by Petersson and built by Hamer (if I recall). I think Petersson has left his relationship with Hamer, since the company was bought out by Kaman Music. He now uses a Chandler bass. The people I can think of who make a 12-string bass are:
  5. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    I knew I could count on some TalkBassers to come thru with an answer.

6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not that there's really any confusion here, but just for clarity...the 12 string is a Hamer model (or was) that has two octave strings per normal bass string. If you want to hear a 12-string with an octave string doubling 6 regular bass strings, check out THUNDERTHIEF, the upcoming release from John Paul stores soon!!!

Shameless plug : )