Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicagoans??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonto_Goldstein, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Did anyone catch Cheap Trick at Navy Pier on New Years Eve? Their bassist was playing, what looked like to my inexperienced eyes, a 12 string bass . Was I drinking too much? Did it really have 12 strings? Does anyone know how makes that bass? I think Hamer makes one but I am not sure...:confused:

2. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Meant to say "does anyone know WHO makes that bass"

Sorry!:eek:

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Well, I am originally from Chicago and remember seeing bands at Navy Pier, ah.... mamories. Anyways, I have always like Tom Petersons bass playing, although If you like the sound of a twelve string Doug Pinnick (sp) from Kings X used to play one quite a bit on their earlier recordings.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hamer Guitars started out as a repair/restoration facility, and Paul Hamer's relationship with Cheap Trick was a huge starting point. The original 12-string bass was designed by Petersson and built by Hamer (if I recall). I think Petersson has left his relationship with Hamer, since the company was bought out by Kaman Music. He now uses a Chandler bass. The people I can think of who make a 12-string bass are:
    Hamer
    Chandler
    Musicvox

5. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I knew I could count on some TalkBassers to come thru with an answer.

:cool:

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not that there's really any confusion here, but just for clarity...the 12 string is a Hamer model (or was) that has two octave strings per normal bass string. If you want to hear a 12-string with an octave string doubling 6 regular bass strings, check out THUNDERTHIEF, the upcoming release from John Paul Jones...in stores soon!!!

Shameless plug : )