Chicago's Jason Scheff's Lakland Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 30, 2001.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just saw Chicago in concert at the Waikiki Shell in Honolulu, Hawaii. Looks like he's got a custom Lakland Jazz bass. It was a 4 string, with a translucent white/blonde finish over an ash body and a maple neck. Single coil jazz pick ups with exposed pole pieces. No pick up cover. Interesting thing is that it had 5 knobs, two large and three small ones, but in a different clustering than you normally see on a lakland.

Anyone know about this one?

Also, I did not recognize the brand of his speaker cabs. Anyone know what he uses?
  2. Herm might be able to shed some light on this. I remember seeing a picture at Lakland's old Web site of Jason Scheff holding what it said was a prototype of his custom model, and it had lipstick pickups!
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dave S. is right...Herm-man would probably know :)

There was a "55-94" White/Blond model at BNW (briefly).
    Exposed pole J-pups.

TB'r mchildree has a 55-63 "Willie Weeks" fiver
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Jason's been playing that Lakland for about 3 years now I think. Before that he had a sweet sunburst Lakland of the same pickup configuration that he favored for a year or two. Also, Jason plays Eden cabs, or he did the last time I checked.

-Bryan White (a.k.a. your resident "Scheffophile") <lol>
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Herm just sent me the new Lakland catalog and indeed there is a Jerry Scheff model. If I remember correctly Dan is using Kent Armstrong "lipstick" pickups to get Jerry's signature tone. You can get it in a 4 or 5 string and I believe that you can get it with set up as passive or with a Bart preamp.

And yes Herm is the man for Lakland. If you are looking for a new one get in touch with him. But you've got to be a TB'r.
  6. fenderbass11

Nov 27, 2004
    So if I wanted to try to get exactly what Jason is playing right now what would I have to ask for? I have an email from a couple of places telling me that if I want to pay the money they can arrange what I want, but I have to to know exactly what it is that I want. Can anyone please assist?
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hi Jerry ~

But we're talking about Jerry's son Jason here. The Jerry Scheff model is the 55-94 style, not a jazz style. My guess would be that the bass Jason was playing was a version of the Joe Osborn model with the swamp ash body option and the white transluscent finish. The Fralin pickups in the Osborn appear to have exposed pole pieces, and Jason may have taken the pickup cover off.

~ Munji.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From this picture, it looks like a version of the Joe Osborn, but with the control layout of a 55-94, which I'd seen him use in previous tours...

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    sorry for the noob question but wehat are lipstick pups?
  10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Ohhhh, the temptation is great ....
  11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Single coils mounted in shiny round metal covers. Originally used in Danelectro guitars. Supposedly the originals actually used lipstick cases, hence the name.
  12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I saw and heard Jason back in San Diego playing at the Hilton Cargo bar with a top 40 band called "The People Movers" around 1980. He was underage and had to leave the club on breaks. He was a freaking monster then. That guy was playing balls out fusion like nobodys business. All out freak that kid was. And look at him now. Go Jason. He sings his ass off too. I hate him.
  13. Here's a pretty good screen shot of Jason with his mystery Lakland. This is from the Chicago Live at PBS Soundstage DVD.

14. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I'd say its just a custom JO.He is a big Lakland endorser so he can get whatever he wants!
  15. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I saw Chicago in Dallas last spring with Earth, Wind and Fire. Jason blew my socks off with his ability to play any style on his bass and still belt out the vocals the way he does. I've been a Chicago fan since the beginning and I think he carries his weight better than Pete Cetera. I also noticed the Lakland he was playing. He must use the same bass for all of his shows.
  16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I agree. I've been listening to Chicago lately, and Cetera has some really interesting bass lines, but they sound like they're being played by a guitar convert. Scheff sounds more like a bass player.