Chick Corea and Stanley Clark video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Oct 17, 2001.

1. I've just watched a video of Chick playing with Stanley Clark(upright), Lenny White on drums, forgot the Sax players name.

MAN!!! Stan was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His intonation was almost perfect!! Oh yeah, he was playing up right bass. My goodness....that guy is unbelievable! He's playing the bass like someones talking. Even I can't talk as expressive as the way he plays his bass.

Truely unbelievable. That was one of the most awesomest Jazz ensemble I've ever saw in my whole life. Well that's just my opinion:D
  2. Mr. Clarke is the reason I stopped playing for a few years. Oh, he didn't do or say anything to me, it's just that I used to compare myself to him and try to play all the stuff he played. Pretty stupid, huh?
    Hey, I was a dumb kid, now, I'm a dumb grown up.

This is the exact reason why Talkbass is so valuable especially to the fledgling players. I didn't have anyone (musically) to talk to, and when you have someone who's just starting on the instrument trying to keep up with one of the best in the world, you have truckloads of frustration.

Why did I ever do that? Sheez!

Stanley Clarke is still one of my heroes.

Mike J.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, but who was on horn?
    Stan Getz, Joe Farrell, Joe Henderson,...?!

Have you heard "Captain Marvel" from one of the very early Return To Forever releases?
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this is recording related, so it's going to ... BASSES!!! j/k
  5. What is the name of this video that you speak of.
  6. I forgot the Sax player's name, and the name of the video I think was Chick Corea with "Return to Forever" member or something. 500 miles high ....??

I couldn't recall.....I was too amaze at his intonation.

Jimk: I think the horn player was one of those you mentioned.

You guys should check that video out. And I'll find out what is the title of the video.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it must be the one I've got with Joe Henderson on Tenor. Lenny White does the intros and apparently set up the gig - I got this a while ago - it was promoted on JazzWise magazine in the UK at about the same time I got the Steps Ahead one with Elian Elias.

It's 1990 on "Beckmann Home video" and is just called "Chick Corea and band - a very special concert".

Stanley is amazing on this and is in the form from "Light as a Feather"! I do prefer his upright work.
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'd seen this video in a music shop in Birmingham several times but had never got round to buying it. I actually went to buy it last week but the shop had stopped stocking jazz! Doh! :rolleyes:

Bruce, I did request a mail-order catalogue from JazzWise magazine, and they sent me a 1995 catalogue. :rolleyes: It didn't have this video in it. Have you got an order-code for it or know of any other way of getting hold of it?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well I am on Jazzwise's mailing list and they send me supplements every few months with new stuff; but I can't find the one where I saw this particular video. In the last one though, it says ring on 020 8769 7725 for a complete list of videos. I would have though you could just ring them and order it anyway - they always seem very keen to sell me stuff and never put any obstacles in the way! ;)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

I just thought - Jazzwise are online but their direct section isn't working yet. You can however register for the updates I mentioned - I think this is how I got to be on their list :

Lates issue is well worth getting - good interviews with Jah Wobble and Herbie Hancock :

11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Rang JazzWise yesterday and ordered it. Should get it tomorrow! Can't wait!
  12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Well, I got the video yesterday. Quite simply, Clarke's bass-playing on this is some of the best I have ever heard! It's enough to make you want to get an upright bass. His solo on '500 Miles High' is absolutely sensational. I'm definitely going to have to get 'Light As A Feather' now!