Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chick Corea-No Mystery

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Garage, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I just bought this album after I accidentally found it at Amazon.
    This is funkiest stuff I've heard in my life!!! How come nobody ever mentions this band or album?

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Haven't heard 'No Mystery' but I know that it's only just become available on CD.

I'm looking forward to his new album with his 'Touchstone' band.

www.chickcorea.com

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Have you tried searching for "Return to Forever"?

That's a nice lineup, with Al Di Meola (his first with the group, IIRC), but it's not as organic as Light as a Feather.

4. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    You must check out this album!
    Amazing guitar,bass,drum, and organ playing!!

I’m eager to check out more of Stanley Clark's and Al Dimeola solo work!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No wonder you're so excited. Check Light as a Feather and Romantic Warrior too.

In the UK, maybe. I've had my copy for some years now.

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Joe,

You might then want to check out Return to Forever's 'Romantic Warrior', 'Hymn of the 7th Galaxy', 'Where Have I Known You Before' and from the earlier, more acoustic line up, 'Light as a Feather'.

7. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Nice to see others that like this kind of music!
    I definetly will check out Check Light as a Feather and Romantic Warrior! I bought some other interesting cd's today as well like;

JP's Punk Jazz Anthology,
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions,
    Marvin Gaye - Let's get it on. :cool:

P.S: Mahavishnue sure have a lot of wierd time signatures in there songs.

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Actually, it was DiMeola's second album with RTF, the first was "Where Have I Known You Before" which is incredible!

Anyway, about "No Mystery", it seemed to be divided in 2 parts, the fun, funky side ("Dayride", Jungle Waterfall", "Flight Of The Newborn", "Sophisitfunk" and "Excerpt from 1st Movement of Heavy Metal") just tore the roof off the joint (Stanley was really ripping by this point! :bassist:

The second more "Serious Half" was very enjoyable, "No Mystery" and "Celebration Suite" were my favorite pieces from this half. :hyper:

Definitely a good disc, though I like "Where Have I Known You Before" just a tad more (for the writing). Al DiMeola sounded good on the RTF stuff but I have to admit I absolutely cannot stand his solo albums at all (just way too coldly technical and showoff wanky for me). I actually liked Bill Connors playing on "Hymm of The 7th Galaxy" waaayyyy better (just had more soul and emotion in there) but that's another rant.

The first two RTF discs (RTF and Light As A Feather) were a whole different trip altogether, more light airy Brazilian jazz.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Get yourself 'Birds of Fire'. I think it was their best album. There is a new reissue of 'Birds of Fire' due out soon which will come with a bonus live concert disc (previously unreleased).

Here's a short video of the Mahavishnu Orchestra:
    http://www.spikesbigadventure.com/mp3s/videos/mahavishnu orch 1972 TheNoonwardRace.wmv

10. DiMeola was I think 20 when he recorded No Mystery with RTF.

The title track is one of my all-time favorite compositions-- so evocative, and the instrumentation is just right. All across the board, too... Day Ride is still my go-to piece when I want to test out a Rhodes patch. Sorceror is one of Lenny White's better compositions. But really there's not a duff piece of music on it, even the improvised piece with Corea and Clarke.

I went to New Orleans Jazz Fest a couple of years ago knowing Chick was going to be there with Gary Burton on vibes, and hoping they would include No Mystery in their set.

They did. They tore it up and brought the house down. I think I embarrassed my wife with my cheering.

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  12. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I already got the Birds of Fire album. My brother made me tape copy of it in late 80s when I was about 12. I fell in love with it right away! Great to hear that there is a reissue coming out with a bonus live disc! I must get hold of that as well.

For some reason I couldn’t open that link.
    I will give it a new try when I get home from work.

Thanks!

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Discovering all the above albums is a beautiful thing :cool:

14. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    It sure was, and all of them on the same day!

:)

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I meant to recommend 'The Inner Mounting Flame' rather than 'Birds of Fire'! Oops! It's 'The Inner Mounting Flame' that's coming out as a deluxe edition.

For fusion fans in the UK:
    that Mahavishnu video clip is taken from a 30min programme from BBC television (1972) which is being repeated on BBCFour at 1.20am tonight. :hyper:

16. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I got into RTF back in the mid-80's, Stan is one of my favorite bass players of all time. I got "No Mystery" on CD in '89, I think, it's been available continuously ever since on Polydor. I wish they would remaster it and give it the same treatment that "Romantic Warrior" (probably their best) got from Columbia. I think "No Mystery" and "Where Have I Known You Before" make a great pair, as they are probably the two RTF albums that are most alike. I particularly enjoy this period of the band and "No Mystery" is one of the classic fusion albums of all time. The title track is one of those gorgeous acoustic pieces that they did so well ("The Romantic Warrior" is another, or anything off their first two albums which were their pre-electric ones). This is what good bass playing is all about. Stan goes from funky electric to bowed double bass without a hitch.

17. Ahhh, another convert to real fusion!

Highly recommend RTF's 'Where Have I Known You Before' and Mahavishnu O's 'Inner Mounting Fame'

Let me toss some harder to find Jan Hammer/Jerry Goodman's 'Like Children' for more keyboard oriented fusion/funk.

18. +1, I liked Bill Connors more also. So underrated!

19. I'd also like to throw in as a contender:
    Billy Cobham-Spectrum

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Great choice! Talk about soul & emotion, Tommy Bolin's guitar playing on that album is off the hook! :bassist: