Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chick Corea Suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Dec 5, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hey guys, starting to make my CD Wish list and I was wondering what good Chick Corea albums I should have on it.

Thanks
    Baker

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    solo-
    now he sings,now he sobs
    three quartets

with return to forever-
    hymn of the seventh galaxy
    romantic warrior

with the elektric band-
    beneath the mask
    eye of the beholder

3. *Like Minds
    *Now he sings, Now he sobs
    *Tones for Joan's Bones
    *Native Sense
    *Inner Space
    *Corea/Hancock
    *Voyage----if still available.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    'Light as a Feather'

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree 100% with these...I know what you're saying by 'solo', hope the neophytes realize they are both group efforts. ;)
    I also like ARC with Dave Holland & Barry Altschul + the Circle stuff(add Anthony Braxton).

DVD-wise, there are couple Corea things out there. I have The Woodstock Jazz Festival DVD...Corea, Braxton, Vitous, DeJohnette make up the core band.

6. The box set Music Forever and Beyond is a very good way of gaining an overview of Corea's work from the mid-60s up to 1996.

Any of his Return To Forever albums are worthwhile if only to hear Stanley Clarke.

I might also suggest Like Minds, which showcases not only his piano, but Gary Burton's vibes and Pat Metheny's guitar (Dave Holland holds down the bottom quite capably thank you).

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Man I barely heard "Fickle Funk" the other day.... I can't get it out of my head!!! That jam is so dope.

8. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    You can't go wrong with this one...

9. I'd definitely go for "Romantic Warrior" (Return to Forever) and "Beneath the Mask" (Elektric Band) first... Particularly if you are an electric bassist, the first one has Stanley Clarke, the second one has MASTER Patittuci.

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    X1000000!

plus, A.R.C. and anything with Avishai Cohen on it (Origins).