1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chick Corea

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Lynchinator, Jun 14, 2007.

1. So, I downloaded a whole bunch of Chick Corea albums, and I love My Spanish Heart. I gave Light As A Feather quite a few listens, and, as much as I love the music itself, I can't stnad the vocals. So I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I'm wondering which Chick albums to check out that are mostly fusion-based and don't have whats-her-name singing on it.

2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    You would be safe with:
    Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy
    Where Have I Known You Before
    No Mystery
    Romantic Warrior [a fusion Classic]

FWIW....I love Flora Purim's singing.:cool:

3. Great, thanks a lot. I'll get listening to those later tonight.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1 for Romantic Warrior, my favourite record with Chick on it!

5. I'm in the same boat as you, I kind of like Light as a Feather (mostly for Spain), but I can't stand her vocals.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Wow, no Elektric Band fans here?

Check out:

Elektric Band
    Light Years
    Eye Of The Beholder
    Inside Out
    Beneath The Mask

Of course the older RTF stuff is great too, but don't overlook the Elektric Band years.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    To the Stars is pretty good, too.

8. +1. I also like "500 Miles High" and "Captain Marvel"; those two, along with "Spain," make up for the annoying vocals, in my opinion.

9. I definitely agree with the vocals on Light as a Feather. They turned me off the album completely, that and the LP I got is in rough shape. Should dig it up again though.

10. I've been slowly making my way through the list of albums you guys recomended. They're all freaking awesome! :)

Thanks a bunch

11. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    indeed, made the tunes ;) i have always loved stan's upright playing, but the alembic on the tune "vulcan worlds" is just sweet :D

12. + 1 for Eye of the Beholder and Beneath the Mask

13. As mentioned above, Romantic Warrior is one of the albums that really kicked fusion into the mainstream for that short period in the mid 70's (along with Heavy Weather by Weather Report). That's a great CD, and along with Birds of Fire, and a few other recordings, really turned a lot of young players heads in that era.

It was amazing to see Weather Report, Chick and Return to Forever and Jean Luc Ponty, among a few others, literally sell out 5,000+ seat halls. Pretty cool.

The Electric Band stuff is quite impressive, but to me, is kind of watered down compared to the original Chick fusion stuff and the other stuff happening when fusion was relatively new, edgy and fresh... kind of like comparing Zep to REO Speedwagon.... one is a ground breaking classic, the other is a competent afterthought:cool:

Finally, even though the record sounds somewhat dated at this point, and has Gayle Moran caterwalling all over it, The Leprechaun is worth the money just to hear Gadd and Anthony Jackson and Chick wailing on Nite Sprite... maybe the most amazing fusion cuts of all IMO.

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

Elektric Band II: Paint The World

Friends

Three Quartets

Touchstone

Eye of The Beholder

Inside Out

DON'T EVEN BOTHER:

Tap Step :rollno:

Secret Agent :rollno:

Beneath the Mask (generic, boring forgettable fuzak-lite, much the same with the majority of "Light Years") :rollno:

RTF-Live (one Gayle Moran's incessant howling at the moon ruins this one beyond repair) :scowl:

Music Magic (same as above) :scowl:

Again and Again :rollno:

15. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I'm not too familiar with the Corea catalog...
    which stuff has bassist Avishai Cohen?

thanks

shawn

16. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Chick had a few projects with Avishai, the band Origin and the New Trio. Avishai is a wonderful player!

p.s./ nice to see the often overlooked Elektric Band II: 'Paint The World' get some love above.
    ;)

17. That is the Origen band. There is a very good multi disc set of live performances at the Blue Note. Relatively difficult listening, but beautiful playing. There is a single 'best of' CD from that set, and also a single CD studio recoring. The live stuff is better!

K

18. I saw that version of the band on the 'Paint the World' tour... great playing! That's an overlooked CD. James Genus did the tour (I think John P. is on the recording) with the late Bob Berg... really inspiring IMO.

Edit: Per the post below, I had this CD mixed up with 'Time Warp', which is the band and tour I saw. That being said, I enjoyed the PTW CD also with Jimmy Earl, etc.

19. You get a total +1 from me on the + and - list. Nice! I'm not even familar with Again and Again... but it sounds like I dont' need to be!

I saw the Touchstone band in Detroit about a year ago, and it was more than smoking. Holy Moly was it good.

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Paint The World had some very cool stuff on it, unfortunately, that band got shelved before it had the chance to reach its potential. I really loved Gary Novak's looser/swinging drumming and Good Gawd Y'all, Mike Miller is one kick-ass guitarist, to my ears, far more musical and thoughtful than Frank Gambale and his speed-shredding.

It was actually Jimmy Earl playing bass on both the album AND the tour for PTW, Patitucci had left to concentrate on his own projects from that time. And on sax, it was Eric Marienthal, the lone holdover from the original EB lineup. I wish it was Bob Berg, he would've been INCREDIBLE with Chick. Eric's playing for me was the weak part of the EB.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021