Chicks & Basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bigunslinger, May 29, 2001.

Do you have Girls In your Band

Poll closed Jun 1, 2001.
  1. yes

15 vote(s)
  2. no

21 vote(s)
  1. ToolChick

ToolChick Guest

May 26, 2001
    Sacramento, California
    I'm between bands right now, but I still practice obsessively. I have a friend who's the same way....other than that, all the bassists I know are guys.
  2. PsykoPunk

PsykoPunk Guest

May 29, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey how goes it? Yeah I'm a chic bassist and my best friend play lead guitar....our band is called "Halos'N'Pitchforks" but yeah we are looking for a drummer!!!

3. We are looking for a girl that can play keys or guitar and sing some too....It is hard to find female musicians that are into gigging.......We really would like to expand our band, and believe me they would be fallling into a great situation....We are currently booking gigs, and we really are coming along nicely....So if anybody knows any in Eastern PA let me know........
  4. yeah im in a christian rock band with two chicks in it
    one sings and plays keyboard
    i play bass
    another chick plays rythm guitar
    and our drummer is a guy
  5. The lead singer/main guitarist of the band I'm in is a female.To top it off,she's talented and has been a very close friend for at least 7 years.She has beautiful voice and is quite cute.She used to sing for Velour 100.When she was 17/18 years old she got to play at the CMJ fest in NYC with them.
    The name of our project is Eastern Sky Division.Our influences are a mixture of The Cure,Radiohead,Duncan Sheik,Mazzy Starr and other things.Can't wait to get it off the ground.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I was the chick in my last two bands. I guess you could say I was the "hen" because I was over fifty and probably too old to be called a chick anymore.
    Also, any bnad I've ever been in had at least one "chick" obviously..if I was in the band.
  7. Our drummer is female. Nothing like having a great looking drummer behind a full set of DW's that can out play and out sing any guy drummer I have had in the last 32 years of playing. We are a four piece band that plays somewhere almost every weekend.
    Rock, MoTown, R&B, Blues, Country, Beach, etc... and she never misses a beat. Any of you guys that say females can't play need to get your heads out of your a** and go for talent next time you want to start a band or need to replace a band member.
  8. our bands drummer and back-up singer is a girl, she's jamaican and my girlfriend. what a combination. she is the best though :)
  9. The rhythm guitarist/pianist/cellist in my band is a chick.
    But I've already mentioned that several times, haven't I? :D:p
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Jason, do you have a brother named Sue???

We have a female front in the band. The rest of us are perverts. Especially the horn section.
  11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've been in bands with several women, most of which would stomp your ass for calling them "chick" (I made the mistake a few times before I learned better). All of them could play bass, but none liked it for some reason.
  12. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a girl in the band and she kicks,!!
  13. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    yey ! girl power !
    I am looking for a band now (CALUM HARTLEY IS A C*NT) but i used to be the only girl in my old band.
    It got a bit frustrating sometimes. Like being in a beavis and butthead episode.

oh and calum was my old guitarist who kicked me out of the band cause i said i liked Hole. Bastard. Oh well. It's his loss.
  14. bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I replaced a woman as the bassist for my salsa/latin jazz group, and it has taken me months to even approach her level. On the professional scene, the only thing that matters is music and professional attitude. It's odd that gender plays a role in music.

That said, one of the tightest drummers I've ever seen plays for a reggae band here in Washington DC happened to be female. Seeing her was the first time I ever wanted to be in a reggae group right away. She was jamming the roots rock, and completely singing her a** off. Anyone that swings gets the gig.
  15. No women. No band, for that matter. My guitarist is male. I'm male.

I would love to play in a band that had a female member, or multiple female members. I sometimes find the lack of testosterone refreshing.

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Oh yeah, but introducing a female into your band brings up a whole 'nuther list of "issues". Especially if it's a full-time road gig, and ESPECIALLY when she starts dating other band members or is married to someone in the band. I'm not down on female musicians by any means, but don't believe that it's a trouble-free situation just because there's less competition to be the "Alpha Male" in the group. These problems are due to male quirks as much as female, but they're there and lots of times can't be settled by something as simple as a good old drunken brawl.
  17. I used to be in a band that was 2 guys 2 girls. The gals were the singer and the guitarist. It worked very well. Professional atmosphere (well, except for 1 week out of every month. I never quite understood that... ;):D)
  18. No girls in my band. Only groupies :)
  19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    groupies...ahhhh.....a blessing and a curse (the "you have WHAT????" scenario). Why does my singer have to be a girl (and a damn cute one too :cool: )