Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chico Hamilton's Quintet(s)

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by olivier, Feb 16, 2004.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    This music, In Hi-Fi, is absolutely amazing, great arrangements, flawless playing, inspired solos. Carson Smith on bass & Fred Katz on cello, Jim Hall on guitar, Buddy Collette on horns, and of course Chico H on brushes. What a line-up!

The recordings the Chico Hamilton's Quintet(s) really deserve to be better known. The cello arco parts are particularly interesting for those TBers trying to use their bows on jazz gigs. Prior to this one I got the Original Ellington Suite featuring Eric Dolphy, also highly recommended.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Agreed 100%

3. Olivier, i'm always happy to see guys checking the older stuff from the West coast out. This was a hell of a fertile musical time out there, 50's to 60's. Jim Hall, as we all know, is just music personified. Such a great example of spacial musicality. To me, his sense of melody and harmony are surpassed by nobody, but guys in his ballpark are people like...Bill Evans, Miles, and of course Red Mitchell. Actually one of the big reasons Jim was out there at this time was to play with Red. Red was one of his biggest influences!
    Carson was one of the great bassists who was never given his due. I got to know him when we did the Gibson Jazz parties in Denver in the 80's. He ended up in Las Vegas of all places. He did some wonderful stuff with Gerry Mulligan as well.
    This band became popular for their ability to create musical textures with the use of the cello. I'd love to hear this stuff on CD now! Was this on the old Pacific label? Jim and Red did some fabulous stuff together on this label, as well as the stuff with Hampton Hawes on the old Contemporary label.

Thanks for the reminder man!

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks for the good word, Paulo. I got into this after reading a Buddy Collette biography (that's a Framus cutaway on the book cover ?). You don't find Chico Hamilton's CDs everywhere, but those two (In Hi Fi & Original Ellington Suite) have been re-released...