Chic's Everybody Dance,To pick or not to pickk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bubinga5, Sep 18, 2006.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    'EveryBody Dance' by Chic, Was trying to play this bass line the other day and its really tricky,its the 16th note octave that ties my fingers up..I can just about keep up but not very cleanly, i reckon he played this with a pick, or am i just crap, anyone know?:confused:

2. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i'm pretty sure he played this with his fingers, i dont think bernard ever used a pick, but i could be wrong

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Fingers!!

Don't you DARE use a pick for that! If you do, you are a very, very naughty person! :D

EDIT Seriously, hammer-ons are your friend. Before you hit the octave, try hitting the note a tone below and hammering onto the octave. You still need to make the jump, but after you do you have a spare 16th note to get your right fingers into gear. Listen and you'll see what I mean.

4. Bernard Edwards pressed his thumb against his index finger, and used his index finger like a pick for the tricky parts. Needless to say, this is very hard on the finger, and from what I've read Bernard's "pick" finger would routinely bleed during the show. Click here to see him in action.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The last two issues of BassPlayer have focused on Sernard Edwards transcriptions and Nile Rogers, Bernard's musical partner, stated that Edwards held his index finger and thumb like was hold a pick, but was just using the finger themselves.

One does not have to use Bernard Edward's technique to get very close to his sound. Simple finger style will work just fine.

6. bubinga5

bubinga5 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Your right.. Wouldnt sound right with a pick.My fingers need to do what there bloody told, i shall be having words with them next time i attempt it!!!:eyebrow:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021