chief justice rehnquist passes on

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  2. Quite sad. Now the senate is going to go from trainwreck to wasteland.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Anyone else hearing horsemen?

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    He had my respect.
    :( :eek: two vacancies...

5. you mean the supreme court? :confused:

anyway, yeah. Things are about to get bad.
  6. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Just wait - there will be some on this forum whose venom will spew just because the guy was a conservative. You'll see.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

RIP. Thank you for your service to our country.
  8. No, he means the Senate. Actually, it wasn't nearly as bad as was expected last time around, so let's hope for the best, again.

RIP, Justice Rehnquist. :(
  9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

10. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    He was a respectable justice who did his job well. Even though he was a conservative apointed by Nixon. Well now it will be harder for them to overturn Roe vs. Wade :cool:
  11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    As a student who became interested in law (and decided to make it my field of study) because of his excellent book on the Supreme Court, I will sorely miss him. No, I didn't agree with his decisions sometimes, but he was a fair man and the best leader of the Supreme Court since at least Earl Warren (and probably more like Charles Evans Hughes).

I have zero tolerance towards those who say that the rapture is coming simply because a president gets to do his Constitutionally-mandated duty (and a hint - I wouldn't have voted for Bush, had I been of age). The judiciary is independent, and its judges tend to be independent too. Hell, even Scalia lashed out against Bush in at least one important case (Hamdi v. Rumsfeld). Don't get your britches in such a damn twist, and take a moment to remember one of the finer American statesman (yes, statesman) in the past half-century.
  12. I agree with Eric, Rehnquist's book on the supreme court is pretty stellar. It's definitely on my recommended reading list.