Child Prodigy hears complete symphonies in his head

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jkritchey, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    This was on 60 Minutes the other night, and although I missed it, read about it here:

Complete symphonies just fill his head, and he can then transpose them in very little time. Sounds like his conscience must be deafening. I'm sure that in some cases, it can seem as much a hassle as a blessing. A 12 year old!

How does this compare to the normal songwriting process? Is it the same, just accelerated, and on steroids?
  2. I saw that on tv yesterday.

You know you're a prodigy when you attend Juliard. At the age of 10!!!

I nearly choked on the peanuts I was eating when I heard he went there. IF you even urinate on a bush near Juliard you become awesome.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I can't imagine the noise in that kid's headbones. It may be a gift, but I have to wonder if he can shut it off? I mean, is he constantly hearing music, like a non-stop radio in his head? Imagine trying to sleep with a full symphony blaring through your mind.

Morbid curiosity makes me wonder what will happen to the kid when he's pushing 30.
  4. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Not sure that it worked out for Mozart all that well, in terms of living peaceful, contented daily life.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Very interesting, the 60 minutes piece made this kid out to be the next Mozart. We'll see.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This kid hears complete symphonies in his head, and others don't even realize it's music(-related) ;)

Off to Miscellaneous.
  7. I don't like this kid. Don't know why. Just don't like him.

Anyway i doubt we'll hear about him in a year
  8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Stop player hating Guss. I applaud this kid and hope he goes on to bigger and better things. Maybe one day with genetic engineering we'll all be that smart!!!!!
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, I for one hate him out of pure jealousy. I also feel sorry for him in a way. It sounds like he can't escape from music; heck, I feel trapped by music sometimes and I hate that feeling, and I'm not anywhere close to this kids level. I hope he learns to be a decent human being as well as a genius.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    He looks kinda like harry potter, he's even got a scar on his forehead.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Look at it this way, while we're all walking around with nothing but music on our minds wishing we could support ourselves with it, he'll actually be doing that.
  12. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    hrm.... im sure we can all hear full symphonies in our head if we try...

so im not impressed....

Now, the transposing part, I am very impressed by.
  14. Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    Damn. I hear music in my head 24/7, the rythm never stops, and I just wanna get it out of me, but he takes it a step further. I wish I could write it all down, I would have so many songs written by now if I could do it like he can...

The multiple channels thing is also very interesting, I thought that me being able to hum one tune, and imagine another was good!
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I know the feeling. I am jealous of people who can run or jog or work out to music. It drives me -nuts-, I absolutely MUST work out to the rhythm of the beat. Even the little tinny speakers in the gym I find myself involuntarily running to the rhythm. It means I don't have the ability to adjust and maintain a pace, and I run too fast more often than not, to the chagrin of my muscles and tendons. One of the reasons I don't like the gym. But that ingrained rhythm sure helps me when it comes to groove time. :bassist:

I'm sure I'm not alone in this company! :help:
  16. Whether we like it or not that kid is phenominal I mean he doesn't have to use an instrument to get the music out by doing it in your head is just as impressive as transposing in his head and we all know that he can bassically play any instrument provided he practiced the technique of playing the instrument because the music is already a part of him
    And If he keeps this up constantly ( whether it kills him or not ) I'm sure were looking at the next beethoven or even better
  17. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I hate it when I can't get a stupid song outa my head...let alone a whole symphony that may be bad.
  18. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I've got a friend of mine who's been a musical genius since he was a little kid.He plays EVERYTHING you'd see on a stage at a rock concert with virtuosity.
    His dad made really good money in his profession,so he sent him off to Berklee after he graduated from high school.
    He did extremely well there as far as grades go,but suddenly quit when it got to the point to where he "couldn't listen to the radio without analyzing and dissecting all of the instrument's parts".
    Now he writes and plays guitar and keys in a chord based, alternative rock band in Athens,Georgia.
  19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's not fair. While watching that report, I was struggling to remember the way Funk 49 goes.