1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Childhood pronunciations I still have trouble with

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eli M., Apr 21, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    "freniture"
    "fermiliar"
    "canka sore"

When I was a kid, I used to pronounce those words in those ways. I thought that's what I was hearing people say. Now, every time I say one of those words, I have to stop myself from saying it wrong.

Does anyone else have words like that - leftover childhood pronunciations that you can't get rid of?

(I started thinking about this because I just typed "familiar" in another thread)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes I say "liberry" as a joke.

Usually people think I'm serious.

3. whenever I try and say "specific" it always come out "pacific"

Am I talking about something in particular or an ocean? You decide.

4. Rount Mushmore.

I always spell purpose "porpoise." I made a mistake once and thought it was funny, now I really have to think about it.

My old next door neighbor could not say "singles." Couldn't do it.

5. I always said "Calorina" intead of Carolina!

6. Wow, you too? Same exact thing here. It's too fun to pronounce it as "liberry." :)

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use the words "ain't" and "stinkin'" alot. Mad Magazine influence probably.

8. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm Asian. I was born in Canada. I get 90's in English. I have problems pronouncing 'R's.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My girlfriend use to work in the Jewlery department at WalWorld... and when I want to get ahold of her, I'd have to say, "Hi, can you connect me to the Joory department."