Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Childhood pronunciations I still have trouble with

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eli M., Apr 21, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    "freniture"
    "fermiliar"
    "canka sore"

When I was a kid, I used to pronounce those words in those ways. I thought that's what I was hearing people say. Now, every time I say one of those words, I have to stop myself from saying it wrong.

Does anyone else have words like that - leftover childhood pronunciations that you can't get rid of?

(I started thinking about this because I just typed "familiar" in another thread)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes I say "liberry" as a joke.

Usually people think I'm serious.

3. whenever I try and say "specific" it always come out "pacific"

Am I talking about something in particular or an ocean? You decide.

4. Rount Mushmore.

I always spell purpose "porpoise." I made a mistake once and thought it was funny, now I really have to think about it.

My old next door neighbor could not say "singles." Couldn't do it.

5. I always said "Calorina" intead of Carolina!

6. Wow, you too? Same exact thing here. It's too fun to pronounce it as "liberry." :)

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use the words "ain't" and "stinkin'" alot. Mad Magazine influence probably.

8. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm Asian. I was born in Canada. I get 90's in English. I have problems pronouncing 'R's.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My girlfriend use to work in the Jewlery department at WalWorld... and when I want to get ahold of her, I'd have to say, "Hi, can you connect me to the Joory department."