Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 29, 2008.
What say you ? http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080229/lf_nm_life/children_spanking_dc
Not all that convincing to me. And the article makes it sound like you spank a kid, they're going to be a rapist. Of course, that's just my interpretation of the article, and that could be based on a bias against it due to what I see as unconvincing figures.
I thought that article was more or less a steaming pile. Correlation does not necessarily equate to causation, particularly when the correlation was as weak as was indicated in the story.
Spanking leading to rough sex? just sounds like a fun night in to me.
A lot of chicks asked to be spanked while I question who their father is.
I thought spanking was part of sex. So confused!
When I first read about this new "find" they said that spanking would only lead to some heightened level of sexual promiscuity. That's all.
Not forced sex/raping!
Seems a bit sensationalized to me.
I got spanked as a kid and no one EVER forced ME to have sex
That's what the thread title suggests, doesn't it!
Correlation =/= causation. The is psychology 101 right there.
My dad ripped off his belt quicker than Darth Vader laying the Jedi smack down on Luke.
I deserved it. I was hades on a mobile unit.
No forced sexual encounters here.
Genuine epic lulz. Kudos
Us Asian kids get spanked a lot when we are young.
spanked. Not a rapist.
You could just as easily argue that kids who have strict parents (i.e. ones who would spank) are more likely than not to rebel against the strictness of their upbringing, not specifically the spanking, by acting out violently or or coercively. You could also say that generally anyone who would become a rapist or general scumbag later on in life probably did more things in their youth deserving of a spanking than non-scumbag kids. However, either of these explanation would be equally simplistic and dumb.
I love it when people ask my opinion.
What say me? After reading that article, I wondered how much money and time was wasted on a weak attempt to connect the two phenomena. The both the article and the study it is about would be of better use printed on toilet paper and installed in public rest stops along I-10 somewhere in Arizona.
The lesson of correlation of data was one of the first I learned when I took statistics. Why is it that I seem to be one of the few people that took statistics of social sciences who actually got it?
I just did my own study. Over the last few months, I've noticed that I take my morning crap sometime between 6:15 and 6:30 AM (according to my Sony clock radio) roughly 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time, I poo after my clock radio reads 6:30 AM. I therefor have concluded that my clock radio causes me to poo by virtue of its mind powers over my bowels and the conversation it has with Ra, the Sun god, every morning before Ra blesses our crops with light thanks to the walrus sacrifice I offer up every full moon.
Pile of Crap:scowl:
Same here. I was mouthy, I got into fights (a *lot*), and I was prone to running off all over the countryside on my bike without telling a soul on this earth where I was. And lots of other stuff.
Nothing forced. The one guy who tried walked away with only deeply painful regrets for his attempt.
Wow, you're magic, too? I can make traffic lights change by pointing at them and shouting, "CHANGE!" It has nothing whatever to do with how the lights are timed. Really. I swear!