1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Children at reheasals

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Oct 2, 2010
    Northern Utah
    My band has been auditioning members for the past few weeks. I had to refuse to audition someone because they had to bring their 6 week old baby with them...???

After explaining that it wasn't a good idea to bring a baby along for (to me) obvious reasons. I was assured that he would make the baby sleep for the duration of the audition. Don't ask me how.. If we were playing soft acoustic stuff, maybe. But two half stack guitar rigs and my bass rig, not so much.

Kinda weird if you ask me. I don't have children yet, but I know that there are certain things that are harmful to and can cause irreparable damage to young children. Especially babies.

...Wow...

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. I agree with your sentiment on not wanting to participate in such a thing. I don't think a six-week-old has yet developed the ability to regulate their auditory self-defense shut-down mechanisms either.

...and If the candidate can't figure out what to do with the baby for the duration of an audition, it's not going to work out anyway.

My 17yo son can flat-out rip on a Hammond so I'm always delighted when that "child" wants to come to a rehearsal. :)

SeamzKing and blindrabbit like this.
  3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Just as a point of reference, to protect infants' hearing the recommended noise limit for hospital nurseries is 50 dB (A-weighted).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    blindrabbit likes this.
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I wonder if he had planned to leave the infant in his car with the windows rolled up on a 95 degree day during his audition... Sheesh... some people...

rtav likes this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. Sorry, but no.

6. Yeah, that's not ok. In my band, we are all Dads and so sometimes a few of the boys will come along to a practice, but that's at someone's home, the boys stay upstairs, and they are all age 8 and up.

A 6 month old? At a loud audition? That's totally unacceptable. Good for you for having the character to refuse to allow that to happen.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    An audition is when you put your best foot forward. He can't clear an evening for that? Red flag. You made a wise decision.

Munjibunga likes this.
  8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, is the baby going to come to every rehearsal? Red flag indeed.

9. I don't give a crap about the health of the child/baby; I don't enjoy the presence of children in almost any setting, a band audition is no exception. Unless we're doing a Wiggles tribute show and we need to test some material, no kids. And I completely agree about people saying it is likely telling of the person's attitude to future commitments.

10. TNID

TNID

Apr 27, 2014
    East Tennessee
    You made the right call. Sounds like that guy may need to get his priorities in order.

11. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    It's a sad commentary on life that there even has to be a list of people & things not to bring to an audition. It's an even sadder commentary that "babies" has to be added to that list.

12. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    I often have to bring the kids (twin 8 year old girls) to our once a week rehearsal. I'm a single dad and my girlfriend works some Sundays while we practice so the choice is either they come of we don't rehearse. I bring a snack, their tablets, a bag of toys and some pen and paper and they usually stay in another room with the doors closed. Occasionally they'll come out and dance for a few minutes. While we are on a break they may jump on the mic and sing while we're all outside. The guys have no problem with it and they all talk to and interact with the girls but I could see how everyone might not be so accommodating.

Our guitarist has also brought his daughter a few times for lack of babysiting.

And yeah, a six week old baby should never be in that environment. Very weird.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That's right ... first band, then family, then work.

BioWeapon, Ikkir, kikstand454 and 2 others like this.
  14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Things not to bring to an audition:
    1. Drugs
    2. Guns
    3. Girlfriends
    4. Mothers
    5. Babies
    6. Whiskey
    7. Flatulence

15. TNID

TNID

Apr 27, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Ohhhh...haha :smug:

16. It's a terrible idea. If the person auditioning can't line up a sitter for an hour or two so they can try out with a band, how do you think it's going to go if they join and there's a regular practice schedule?

Re-reading the OP, it sounds like this person is probably some total wannabe who has never been in a band before and doesn't realize how loud a full band practice can be.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Just use Gravedigger's baby sitting technique. All you need is 6' of rope (smooth so it doesn't chafe) and a qualude. Give the kid the qualude and tie it to the bed. The kid will be safe and happy.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    We never allow anyone at rehearsals. Too much risk of a distraction.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. I'll let him skate this time, if it's his first kid. Fifteen years ago, I had some astoundingly naive ideas about how much I could do with an infant in tow.

20. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Munjibunga I'd put your #7 on top of that list :roflmao: