1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Children at reheasals

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Babies are one thing, but my 10-year-old is going to play roots on the cello with us at this week's jam session. Sat in with a nine-year-old fiddler at a Celtic music festival and she was so good it made my heart ache. :)

I know not everybody likes kids, but it's not all bad.

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I don't have a problem at all with well behaved kids at a jam or rehearsal. I would just hope their ears were protected, within context of course.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    6 week old baby? No way.

There's a call to child social services waiting to happen.

petrus61 likes this.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This^^^

I'd keep the age limit to 10 and up...and that's with excellent hearing protection.

5. digmeout

digmeout

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona
    Child social services? I think the OP took care of the problem.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I mean in the future. If a parent doesn't know that it's not a good idea to have a 6 week old baby at a band practice they have little common sense.

petrus61 likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Dolly Parton told a story about when she was a child and her family lived in a house with no running water. Whenever her mother had to go down to the creek for water she would raise the corner of the bed and put the bottom of baby Dolly's dress under the bed leg so she couldn't crawl away while she was gone.

8. original metal band had a 3 year run, playing out more often than we wanted, turning down shows, always getting paid. recorded 3 times and had all sorts of merch all while breaking everyone one of those rules.

failures the lot of us.

petrus61 likes this.
  9. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    My mom doesn't like metal. :)

10. digmeout

digmeout

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona
    I agree not much common sense. Let hope the guy learns from this and there will be no need for child social services in the future.

11. Back in the old peasant days in Russia, women would basically tie their infants down in their cradles and give them a piece of bread soaked in milk to suck on while they went into the fields to work. I'm guessing infant mortality was pretty high back then.

12. sounds crazy. back when we had bigger gear, (810 bass cab and two 412 guitar rigs) we never let any kids at practice. These days I run a 410 and both the guitarists run 212 rigs so its not ridiculously loud but I think the kids need to be old enough that they listen to their parents well and behave. Occasionally my singers kids will come in and listen to us practice. But they are far from Babies. I have a 4 month old and a 2 1/2 year old, and would never even entertain the thought of bringing either of them to band practice.

petrus61 likes this.
  13. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I hope you don't call CPS on me, but I had my then 2 year old son at a rehearsal. He was wearing hearing protection, and played some percussion with us. He's also been at rehearsal for my church's worship team as well. Music is a big part of my life, and so is my son. It's inevitable that they will intersect. And when they do, I try to make it positive.

Yeah, but at 6 weeks old, I wouldn't.