"Children of Dune" on TV!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was surprised to see this on the Hallmark Channel over the weekend, with very little prior publicity? :confused:

I must say I prefer the subsequent volumes of Dune and was interested to see what they'd done with it - the first episode of the 6-hour TV series seems to have some spectacular scenery/architecture and some famous cast members - but came on me with no warning - I nearly missed it!

So why is there not a big fuss about it..?

I was a bit undecided whether I liked it or not - the Guild Navigator looked a bit strange and I expected the Teilaxu to be much nastier - much more evil and ugly...?

Anybody else catch this?
  2. It was on the SciFi Channel here a few months ago. I liked the treatment of it overall, although I think they compressed the two books a little too much to meet the time frame (6 hours less commercials) they had to work with. I also wish they hadn't felt the need to "work" the family of Shaddam the IV into the narritive of the 2nd book.

I have the SciFi Channel version of Dune on DVD and I will get this one when it comes out.

Overall I think they did a good job of getting the feel for the story.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    saw it on Sci-Fi a while back too, I'll wait for the directors cut DVD so I don't get reamed like last time.
    I think they're fairly OK, wonder if he'll keep going with the saga?

Had a hard time getting past Alia's accent in this one- can't decide if it was 'supermodel exotic' or 'bad acting' flavor. Kind of a fine line.

I guess I still have the Lynch version embedded in the brain. At least these try to be accurate, for the most part.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

I don't remember anybody mentioning it around here - and there certainly has been no hype in the UK - but it does seem pretty good overall.

I would have expected some editing - but it is amazing how special effects and digital backdrops have progressed to the stage where even "made for TV" series can be convincing and imaginative.

I look back on some of the old Dr. Who stuff which gets repeated on satellite channels and it is totally laughable by comparison! ;)

So - Children of Dune looks good and obviously these were great books, with fantastic concepts - whereas Dr. Who is now apparent as just badly-written stories, done as cheaply as possible..... with flimsy sets and actors who had no idea what they were doing and "camping it up" as much as possible!!
  5. That's what makes Dr. Who so great! Tom Baker rocks!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Tom Baker is good, but you can see the rest of the cast just thinking "I'm spouting rubbish that is impossible to make convincing!!" ;)

I used to think when I was a little kid in the 60s, that we would actually be doing all this stuff - living on other planets and making inter-stellar trips, by the year 2000!

Whereas in fact what has happened is that we can make TV shows that portray this convincingly now! :D
  7. I just wish I had a Tartis, or is it Tartus. Well, whatever, I wish I had one. It would be damn useful during rush hour.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    It was called the Tardis and it seemed to be attracted to trouble whereever it occurred in the space time continium. So avoiding the rush hour traffic by getting stuck into an intergalatic war with the Darleks seems to be a poor deal (just make sure you can find some stairs).

I vote Sylvester McCoy

Anyway back (nearly) on topic, there was a comment re the David Lynch Dune being inaccurate. As I understand it David Lynch did not have final edit. He shot between 8-12 hours of film (the exact amount excapes me but I wouldnt want to see an 8 hour film without being a trilogy) and stated that it was the minimum amount of time to do the story justice.

I havent seen the Children of Dune but would like to. Is the Leto II becoming a worm/human hybrid true to the book or do they stuff it up. Leto's symbosis with the baby worms was my favourite part of the saga.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

That part's still to come for us in the UK - I've only seen the first 2 of the 6 hours - it is on the Hallmark channel on Digital Satellite TV (Sky) on the next two Saturday nights - 9pm to 11 pm!!

It was one of my favorite parts as well, which was one of the reasons why I really wanted to see this!!
  10. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Am gutted that I've missed the first part! Bruce is right - I haven't seen any advertising for it anywhere.

I did enjoy the first Dune mini-series when it was repeated back-to-back on the Sci-Fi channel a couple of months ago. I wonder why they aren't showing Children of Dune as well over here? (especially considering that it's being made by the Sci-Fi channel!)

Have checked out the Hallmark channel's UK website http://www.hallmarkchannel.co.uk - the first part is not being repeated! :( :mad: Anybody willing to fill me in on what I've missed.

PS. The David Lynch film is great, although unless you know the books you wouldn't have a clue what is going on! - This is where the longer mini-series version has its strengths. I used to have a 3 1/2 hour version (I think!) on tape years ago that I taped from the Sci-Fi channel. I lost that a long time ago, but I do remember that Lynch's original intended cut was about 5-6 hours.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Paul is in control of the known Universe but Alia is worshipped and takes advantage of her position as his brother - Alia is also very sexy, very athletic and deadly! ;)

Duncan Idaho is resurected by the Tleilaxu who plot with Saddam's relatives to make the "Gola" kill Paul when he gains his trust - but he starts to recall his past life and eventually everything when he can't go through with it - it is a trigger that seems to make the would be assassin happy as it means they can restore anybody to life from a few cells.

But Paul is blinded by an illegal atomic in another plot - however, he is so prescient now he can "see" using his vision of the future - lots of moral issues as Fremen are usually cast into the desert to die when blind.

Paul also 'discovers' that his wife Irulan has been feeding his lover Chani with contraceptives - Paul is secretly happy as he know that Chani will die in Childbirth - so he gets to spend more time with Chani - but eventually take her away to the Sietch in the desert to have his son, who already has a telepathic link with him.

But suprise - Paul hasn't forseen twins - the Golden Path is very important but vague at the moment - Paul must do things he doesn't like for the best future - The Tleilaxu offer to bring Chani back but Paul just kills their Face Dancer.... err anybody want to add?

Where's the exhausted smiley?
  12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks Bruce! I have actually read Children of Dune - I just wanted to know how far they'd got in the first episode, although I realise that my request was misleadingly worded - Sorry!;)