1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Children of the 80s: Have you seen/heard this???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass Man Dan, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I have to say, I was probably about 10 or so when this video (A-ha: Take On Me) blew up on MTV, I thought the video was really cool. But yesterday I stumbled upon an article that said they did an unplugged recently. I looked it up not expecting much...all I can say is, wow! I did not remember this song having this kind of depth to it. Am I out of my mind?

ptg, Furious_Man77, tkonbass and 15 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Always liked that one. Pure unadulterated sillypop. Love it. This version's touching.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I didn't like that song when it came out, I was 14 when it did, and I still don't.

-Mike

Hounddog409 and Bass Man Dan like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just goes to show you that the arrangement makes all the difference - the hit was pure synthetic pop.

Just like Sweet Dreams - it was originally written as an acoustic blues/rock - same chord progression, but more aggressive. I've heard Lennox do it that way, and much prefer it.

5. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I was 20 when that released, and while I thought the video was pretty cool, I didn't care for the song...most likely prejudiced by how popular they were with the ladies.
    Now I'm 30-plus years older, I can appreciate how well-written it was.
    This version really brings that out.
    Thanks for sharing.

Loring, pjbassist, murphy and 5 others like this.
  6. Hmm... I'm not familiar with this song/video.

The first music videos that grabbed my attention were Twister Sister's I Wanna Rock and We're Not Gonna Take It.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I dig it, then and now.

8. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    It must have been tough for you back then, because they beat this horse pretty hard for a good while.
    Yeah, those...THOSE were classics!

Here is the original video:

10cc, Loring, murphy and 1 other person like this.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Totally.
    I remember Friday nights watching Night Tracks on WTBS (it's now just TBS), and they would play it over and over.

-Mike

murphy and Bass Man Dan like this.
  10. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Funny how some things never change...with all the music out there it's crazy how some songs just get played non-stop.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I agree with posts #2, 4, 5 and 7.

10cc and Oddly like this.
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I love the shots of the crying "ladies of a certain age" singing along in the audience. :thumbsup: Funny thing - for the first time, in this version, I actually understand the lyrics finally. That "in a day or two" always eluded me...

10cc and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  13. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I saw that some time ago. Love it! My favorite a-ha song was "The Sun Always Shines on TV". Here's a cool unplugged version...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  14. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Wow what a difference the production makes. Never really thought of it as a melancholy song with the dance beat. And I have to say that after more than 30 years the lead singer has still got it.

I was 9 when the song came out. It's one of the top songs that identify the 80s IMO. Funny, it's actually one of my daughter's favorite songs lately.

10cc, pjbassist, MonetBass and 3 others like this.
  15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    A-ha only had a few U.S. hits but they have been one of the biggest selling acts in Europe since the 1980s with many hit songs.

Here they are live at Rock in Rio 2015

This is the entire 2017 MTV Unplugged show.

osv, Oddly and Bass Man Dan like this.
  16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Check out this video of Morten Harket from A-ha & Scorpions - Wind Of Change

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It did bug me for it being overplayed in my youth....but always thought the animation style cool.....but good song

Now.....kajagoogoo......funky bass

Funky Ghost likes this.
  18. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    I was I think 14 when the album came out. A girl I kinda liked gave me the A-HA cassette and a big Price Club pack of Grape Red Vines for my birthday. I thought that was pretty cool gift, actually, considering we weren't really close friends or anything. Apart from a few moments of tease after that, she never went out with me. Anyhoo, I loved the Red Vines, but got bored of the A-HA album pretty quick. I think I liked Sun Always Shines on TV the most, but I don't think the album has aged well enough for me to really recall if I liked it.

There were plenty of other MTV-oriented pop hits back then that were far better, IMO. I mean this is a well-crafted pop song, and a clear example how much production and timing can make or break a song hook. But it never did much for me. Peter Gabriel SO came out that same year, and REM Life's Rich Pageant and Smith's Queen is Dead came out the next. As a dorky 80s teen, those were far memorable releases for me.

10cc likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

K A J A G double O G Double O !! Dug them too much too.

10cc and murphy like this.
  20. Funky Ghost

Radio over play wasn't an issue for me during the 80's and MTV wasn't either. I was too busy cruising around playing cassettes in my Kraco deck with an under dash 40 watt power booster/eq! The kind of pure musical energy a high school kid with a Burger King job could afford :D

s-l300. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ8-NZvpmEftRMwsXaFYVIZcM0Pa-1hWn_wpj49tjLGwQxjMF8fg.