Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Child's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ptidwell, Dec 20, 2005.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    My grandson is 5 1/2 years old and told me he wants to play bass like me. He sits with we all the time at home while I practice, rehearsals, live stuff. So the interest is there.
    However my basses are way too big for him. Does anyone know where I can get a child size bass to start teaching him?

(Edit) I just remembered that he is a lefty, do you think that teaching him as a righty will be a disadvantage for him? I don't know how easy it would be to find a left handed mini.

2. it seems like i have seen these somewhere, like she mini strats and LP's that they sell in the kits (exactly the same as the real ones, just smaller) im sure you could find one somewhere.

or depending on how motivated you are, you could build one

3. I believe Fender makes a "mini" p-bass. If you can't find one, try a Bronco.

4. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    There's a little Samick bass, the Corsair

It's not just short scale, it's really small

5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Here's a repost from a couple of weeks ago:

It's obviously a little big for my 2 year old (seen here) but my five year old handles it fine.
    I think the scale is 26.5 inches. The quality, fit, finish, playability and sound are all better than I expected.

http://www.crossroads-music.org/cat...tar_2885650.htm

I know there were other places that had this bass but I can't find them right now.

[​IMG]

Good luck!!

Chad

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I bought a bronco for my son when he was 5, and it fit him OK, though he was tall fo his age, and still is at 9.

If I had to do it all over again, I would avoid the bronco and buy either the samick or the SX short scale, mostly because the pickups are 100% better than the bronco, and they both have fully adjustable bridges.

I've spent more time and money upgrading the bronco than I choose to think about. It's a nice bass now, but there isn't too much original about it anymore.

here's a thread detailing my adventure: photos are on the last two posts
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72332

7. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    I was just looking at the Fender mini P bass this weekend for my son. It's was nicely made with no flaws that I could see. It's sound was much bigger than I thought it would but it would have been nice if it had a tone control. (It only has volume) I think it was about $400.00 but I can't remember. I haven't seen the Samick, but the Fender is definately worth a look.

8. how about one of those funky little basses with the rubber strings I cant remember what they're called but there are a few on Ebay for sale.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I played the Samick, and let me tell you, I was surprised! The tone that thing got was great, and it was really FUN! It also looked like a real bass, not just some mini-fied regular bass. I could easily use it on a gig (though I'd have to look- not used to the scale, I'm sure I'd miss something!) and would really recommend it for a beginner. The scale is 26.5", and feels way better than any 30" scale I've ever tried. It rocks!

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    you're talking about an ashbory bass
    those things are next to impossible for adults to play in tune, let alone a kid. a super-short scale fretless is not the way to go, IMHO.

11. Yes that's what I was referring to, I wasn't aware they were all fretless though.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It can't be any harder to intonate than a violin or viola. People (including children) intonate those, and without the neato fretlines that the Ashbury offers.

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Rondo sells a short scale beginner kit with a short scale bass and almost everything you need to get started. For $129!
    [​IMG]

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've played one. they are very difficult, and standard vibrato technique doesn't work like a violin because of the rubber strings. I play in a pro symphony, and without vibrato 90% of the pro violinists out there would sound bad.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For a 5 1/2 year old, that Rondo looks like a sweet deal. I looked at the Ashbury and the Fernandes Nomad and settled on the Fernandes. I paid $225 or 250 for it. One cool feature is it has a built in speaker that operates of the 9V battery, so the kids can play it anywhere in the house. It also operates off a normal 1/4" plug, so the kids can plug into any of my amps, which they think is waaaay cool.

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

16. That picture is so adorbale!

17. Yeah that kid is cute as anything... my favorite part, the thumb over the neck and the foot on the pedal, girl knows how to rock out already!

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Holy cow. now if they only made them in pink. My three year old daughter asks me for a pink bass guitar all the time.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Have you seen the Daisy Rock guitars?
    [​IMG]