Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chili night was a failure.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Man screw this. All y'all. :spit:

:hyper: :bag: :D

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In Australia, we don't really eat "chilli" - at least not in the way you American's talk about it. (to us, "chilli" is the name of the ingredient that you put in dishes).

Anyway, I would like to make some of your American style chilli for dinner tonight. Can someone post the most kickarse tasty chilli recipe for me. I would like it to have a bit of a southern smoked sorta kick to it - something with some real tude' - thanks y'all!

3. What do you mean it was a failure? I had chili, for lunch and dinner, and checked in to chat on here all day. I didn't realise I was supposed to chronicle every bite.

I thought it was about the community, not the chili so much... :(

4. I had Chili tonight!

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I participated without knowing I was participating.

I thought I kust made a pot of chili. It was good. We had more today. I'm going to have some more in a while.

Leftovers can rock.

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I did too. Mine wasn't from scratch, but it was still mm mm good. :)

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I put enough of a description of mine on the other chili night thread that you could probably make dome like mine from it. I invite everyone to try it. It's an awesome chili.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I had (don't shoot me) vegetarian chili that was actually quite good. Very hot, with a tequila lime flavor. Not soupy.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    don't hate me because i'm cool, but i think Wendy's chili is really good

:D

10. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I guess my waek 3 alarm stuuf didn't count? I said we had it all weekend. Actually I just finished the last of it. I pity dem fools at practice tonight.

11. i had chili today!

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Recipies people...im getting hungry! :D

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brown 2 lb. of chili meat (coarse ground beef) with several cloves of chopped garlic. Once browned, add two cans of chicken broth, one 15-oz can of tomato sauce, and salt, if your chicken broth is low/no sodium variety (the recipe I was given called for a bit of MSG. Most will probably opt to leave this out, but hey, this isn't exactly health food. Add about a half teaspoon at this point, if so inclined). Simmer for one hour. Mix in a bowl 4 tablespoons flour, 4 tablespoons chili powder, and a half tablespoon of cumin/comino. In a small skillet, start with 5 Tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the flour/chili powder mix slowly to make a roux. Fry this gently for no more than five minutes, then add to the chili. Simmer for another thirty minutes or so and behold the glorious red!

I simply substituted two 12 oz. bags of Morningstar farms 'veggie crumbles' and used vegetable broth instead of chicken, and reduced the simmer time a little to make the vegetarian version.

fromthis venerable thread.

:)

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    THanks! I just printed off that entire thread. Seems I need a trip to the grocery store so it looks like chilli will be off until the weekend. That said, come next monday, the wallpaper in the toilets gonna be peeling off! Yeehaw! :D

15. Anyone tried that "stagg" chili that's premade in the pouch? It looks interesting....

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    It ain't bad.........

if you're all outta "Colon-Blow". :D

17. Yeah, but do I have to eat 10,000,000 bowls of my normal chili to match the awesome ass-blasting power of Stagg?

;)

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hmmmm.........your chili is definately different than mine....
    After chowing down that Stagg I was relieved (or my colon was) to get a break.

Texas chili, with a lot of Looooziana spice could eat through concrete. :ninja:

19. Ah, I misundastood. I will have to go try it out...

moderation Mon, moderation....too much chili...whoooo...I sweat chili. ;)

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use it to break apart old rusted nuts and bolts

:D