Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chili Peppers Effect??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Collett, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Could anyone tell me exactly what effect Flea is using on "Sir Psycho Sexy" off Blood Sugar Sex Magic? I know it's some kind of synth effect, but I can't seem to find anything that comes close.

anyone know, anyone.....anyone...

Thanks.

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    In his Bass Video/DVD he uses a DOD Envelope Filter pedal.He manages to get some cool sounds from it, but I dont know if that is what you are looking for.:)

3. I've got a good envelope filter(q-tron), thats not quite it though.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That would most likely be a Electro Harmonix Bassballs. It's bassically a filter with a distortion mixed in. However, on the recording, Flea has more low end than what a Bassballs puts out, which makes me think he used one in a side-chain somehow to preserve some of the original tone, or he was using something more sophisticated.

Lovetone made an envelope filter called a Meatball that has an FX loop in it. When you run a fuzz through the loop, it sounds remarkably like a Bassballs, except with more lowend and solid tone.

You should be able to pick up an American made Bassballs for under $100. Avoid the Russian (black) model, as they are noisier, and pop real bad when you switch them on.

5. thanks! My Q-Tron pops real bad as well...isn't that vierd....

6. Accuatlly, it was a Mutron III envelope filter with a dying battery in it.

7. no shiet!! thats awesome....thanks!

8. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    It wasn't a DOD FX25 with a dying battery?

9. Sounds like a Mutron III to me. I also saw a little glimpse of it in the film about the making of Bloodsugarsexmajik, so, I don't really think it was a DOD FX25.

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had always heard that it was a dying Moog effect, maybe something like the moogerfooger. It is definately not a bassballs

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I can get that sound with my Meatball and running a fuzz in the loop. Don't think it was a Meatball - not sure if those were even out at the time.

I definitely think that there is a direct signal mixed with the original. His tone stays intact even with the effect on.