Chili Peppers Effect??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Collett, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Could anyone tell me exactly what effect Flea is using on "Sir Psycho Sexy" off Blood Sugar Sex Magic? I know it's some kind of synth effect, but I can't seem to find anything that comes close.

anyone know, anyone.....anyone...

2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    In his Bass Video/DVD he uses a DOD Envelope Filter pedal.He manages to get some cool sounds from it, but I dont know if that is what you are looking for.:)
  3. I've got a good envelope filter(q-tron), thats not quite it though.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That would most likely be a Electro Harmonix Bassballs. It's bassically a filter with a distortion mixed in. However, on the recording, Flea has more low end than what a Bassballs puts out, which makes me think he used one in a side-chain somehow to preserve some of the original tone, or he was using something more sophisticated.

Lovetone made an envelope filter called a Meatball that has an FX loop in it. When you run a fuzz through the loop, it sounds remarkably like a Bassballs, except with more lowend and solid tone.

You should be able to pick up an American made Bassballs for under $100. Avoid the Russian (black) model, as they are noisier, and pop real bad when you switch them on.
  5. thanks! My Q-Tron pops real bad as well...isn't that vierd....
  6. Accuatlly, it was a Mutron III envelope filter with a dying battery in it.
  7. no shiet!! thats awesome....thanks!
  8. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    It wasn't a DOD FX25 with a dying battery?
  9. Sounds like a Mutron III to me. I also saw a little glimpse of it in the film about the making of Bloodsugarsexmajik, so, I don't really think it was a DOD FX25.
  10. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had always heard that it was a dying Moog effect, maybe something like the moogerfooger. It is definately not a bassballs
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I can get that sound with my Meatball and running a fuzz in the loop. Don't think it was a Meatball - not sure if those were even out at the time.

I definitely think that there is a direct signal mixed with the original. His tone stays intact even with the effect on.