Chili Peppers new album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Howard K, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Well I've been listening to the Peppers new album all day I think it's a beauty.

The focus of the bands sound seems to have shifted from that tight syncopated punk/funk jam to be almost entirely centred around the melody... yet it's still 100% the chili peppers.

Bass wise, Flea has really simplefied his lines, still unmistakeabley Flea (as if it'd ever be anything else). The guitar is truly awesome, period.

Lots of other instruments used too, string arrangements, I think I heard a harmonica in there somewhere, loads of big effects on guitar too, some really nice textures.

Rick Rubin produced again - the guy works wonders with the peppers, it sounds raw and gritty, almost live-in-the-room type feel. I love it.

2. i don't have the cd yet becaues it doesn't come out till tomorrow. I have heard the sangs though, and I think that they are great, especially Venice Queen, Minor Thing, and Can't Stop. At least you have recognized that they are going in a new direction to try out new styles; im sick of hearing people who hate it because its not like their old stuff. anyway, thats my opinion.
  3. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Theyre definetly back to being a great band. Theres still energy, melody and thought to their songs. Im glad that people over the age of 30 dont have to slow it down and soften it up anymore.
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    It's a funny one that. I mean there is definitley an age when you cant be cool rocking out any more... I think that the key is working your style into something more appropriate, which the peppers have definitley done. This CD is no way as hard, fast and manic as their older stuff (uplift mofo, mothers milk), but it's still totally rockin'.

The single is a great track too.
  5. I just love it :cool: !!! I think it's gonna be one of their greatest albums ever. Frusciante is awesome, and the melodies and joy that pours out of this band is amazing :D
  6. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    'Cabron' is a real classic. Best Chilis song since 'Aeroplane', in my opinion.

I wonder how many old fans will like this. I consider myself to be an old fan - especially compared to those who only possess Californication - and I have to say By The Way really is very good indeed. Different, but still Chilis.

10/10 (but I seem to remember giving BSSM 11/10!)
  7. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Rating music is always a judgemental thing, and one person's opinion is always opposite another's. I tend to like bands that can change over time as they mature and take on new influences. The problem though, is that this is simply not the case with RHCP. This new album seems (to me) that they took a good look at every song that ever made them a s@#$-load of money, and then proceeded to make a whole CD of clone songs.

If you don't want to wait untill tomorrow to open your new CD, and you want to listen to a "Back-Up copy" check Usenet: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.full-albums.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Yep, gotta say that I really don't dig anything they've done beyond 'One Hot Minute', and RHCP was the first band I ever heard (at age 5). Been into them for about 12 years, then, I suppose you could say. But this new stuff is just ... cringe-worthy, IMO. I can't stand listening to Flea's constant barrage of E Minor pentatonic! Took me a good few days and multiple listenings to work out what was going on in 'Aeroplane'; took me about 5 minutes to work out what he was up to in 'By The Way'. From memory. Gagh. I was insulted.
  9. i've noticed that with fugazi as well. their new stuff is more pensive, more melodic. they still go crazy at times but there are more dynamics.

anyway, i'm not too crazy about the new chili peppers, but it is pretty nice. i will say that it's refreshing to hear clean fender guitar tones on modern rock radio.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was going into it with an open mind, until they started comparing it to "Sgt. Pepper.....":rolleyes: I'll still get it though.
  11. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    The new album is a master piece....this is possibly the first chili's album where john has got to show how great a melodic song writer he is,...and flea well...his bass talent on this record is waty above anything on califonication...he's certainly taken influences from jazz with Cabron with the walkin bass line..he actually plays a double bass live for it (well he did on Johnny Vaugnes show on bbc1) the bass lines are still complicated but not in a mothers milk sorta way..its so0o wonderfully meldoic The Zephyr song is a beauty and cant stop is great as well....Mirror Thing is my fav... well that or Venice Queen...

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm going to get this new one one sooner rather than later.

I was one of those who totally dug "Uplift..." and was disappointed by the more melodic stuff that came after. But well over a year after "Californication" came out, I borrowed it because my modern rock band decided to cover the title track and "Other Side". I listened to the whole thing, and was really impressed. So I bought it, and it's now one of my favorite albums to play along with from beginning to end. Even the simple lines are cool. I can't yet nail all of Flea's fancier licks but it's fun to try, and "Parallel Universe" is great woodshed material. I hope this new album is as cool as "Californication".
  13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I haven't got the new album yet, I'll probably get it tomorrow, but I've heard By The Way and few other songs and it sounds very good:)
  14. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Im in the process of watching the VH1 Ultimate Albums RHCP episode for the 2nd time...I love those guys and Rubin is an awesome producer. Just thought I'd add that positive note.:D
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've only listened to it a couple times so far, but it is a lot more melodic than some of their other stuff!
    I think Flea is just a older wiser player than he was 15 years ago.......he has nothing to prove and plays more for the song now.
  16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I do know what you mean... I thought that about the singles on Californication... but they have been raking it in since BSSM, and they have never repeated that.
    The new one has a mountain more vocal harmonies in the B/V than they have ever done before. I can imagine those harmonies being totally slaughtered live! :eek:

I do genuinely think the peppers have always developed from album to album. I've been a fan since Uplift Mofo too, when I was 13 and i can honestly say I like every new development of their sound, but at the same time it always takes a few weeks for the album to really 'get me'.

I agree it can get a bit tedious, I too figured out enough of By The Way to be able to play along by half way through the song!
    ... but it does work (tried and tested you could say - I guess that's the problem?) , and we all know that complexity doenst neccessarily make a song any better.

We should re-visit the discussion, once we've all had a few weeks to absorb :)
  17. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Just bought it. First impression is that the melody is king on this one, and though the songs are beautiful, I just don't think its as good as Californication. It just doesn't rock as much. The tracks on Californication just seemed more inventive... listen to "Savior" or "Parallel Universe." Oh well, still good stuff. Buy it.
  18. I'm listening to it right now, and i'm truly speechless. This album is the epitomy of the word Beautiful.

And I find that it is very stupid to compare/contrast with other albums, since a band is a living thing, constantly evolving towards its destiny. If you play the same things over and over, you'll get bored.
  19. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    *dances anxiosly* ony a few more days till my birthday, that's when i get it!