1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chili Peppers on SNL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan L., May 6, 2006.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So, am I the only one who isn't playing tonight and caught the Peppers on SNL??

What did ya all think??

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I thought the singer kinda sucked, but the rest of the band was good.

3. I'll just pretend I didn't hear that...

I saw, I thought it was alright. I don't really dig Dani California much. I'm biased as to wether I'll buy the album or not. It just wasn't funky, when I see the RHCP, I expect funk, I feel none in that song. They still have great energy though. And is it me, or is it still weird to see Flea with a Jazz?

4. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    I didn't see it, but I've heard the song enough to know...

I hate it.

5. I think that Jazz looks real nice on him. Hope yhat doesn't sound too ghey.

I just taped that on my reel-to-reel and was monitoring thru some nice stuff and feel like the sound at the studio is less than stellar tonite. Sometimes it's very good from SNL. When U2 and I think Wilco played recently it was very good (for TV).

Looking forward to the next selection.

6. Maybe it was because I just woke up (fell asleep on the couch and woke up just in time for RHCP), but I didn't hear enough bass?

I wonder what song they'll do next?

7. I didn't find them bad, i just miss the old BSSM peppers...:(

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, they popped out an oldie...

9. I agree, there could have been more bass.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No so impressive.

11. OMG!!!!!

That rocked!

If a Fender Jazz can sound like that then what else do you really need??

I mean really. I'm officially gettin' my Jazz back.

F**k.

12. Flea is g*d.

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I didn't think there was nearly enough bass. And ya I find it weird to see flea with a Jazz, but I guess I'm biased since I own a flea bass (not because of flea though, because its a good bass).

They didn't do as well as I'd expected and the ending was rough, but oh well- they're RHCP they can pretty much do what they want.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just seeing him jump off of his GK stacks without breaking an ankle was impressive.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Meh, John's performance was really good. I don't know why, but Flea pisses me off now, I've heard too many bad stories about what a fake person he is, and that affects my views of his playing sadly.

The new single sucks, good job on Give it Away though... despite the fact that I never really liked that song.

16. Yeah, I got home and caught them playing, I'm a big fan-prefer the older stuff, but im still loyal...Performance wise the vocalist (Anthony K.) which usually kicks ass-either didnt go all out or somehting was def. off maybe it was the tech- I'm a fan and I fell asleep on the couch-thats bad-might be the liquor lol...the bass was ok could have been stronger-and for the record that 70s white J bass rocks.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have definitely seen em do better, but all in all, I thought it was OK.

18. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i thought they were very good and they exceeded my expectations. i was kind of hoping for a new song but i thought they did Give It Away pretty well. they still seemed to have a lot of energy, which makes me feel better about going to see them a couple of times on their US tour.

however, i still liked their 1992 SNL performance much better...even though John shanked the solo in Stone Cold Bush and didn't sing the choir part on Under the Bridge.

19. Okay I am about to show my years. I saw them back in the day (80's) with the orinial line up. They were much better then, more energy funkier etc, but hey we get older bands change,guitarists die etc. Fans always want you to stay were you were when they first heard you.(some of my fans wish I was still jazz punk and not metal/noise) I no longer like RHCP but thats fine.
    What really floored me was Fleas tone. As the other guy said the sound was a bit off, (my home stereo/TV is very nice) drums were muffled sounding, vocals too loud, and the bass had no...bass.
    Despite the bad mix, his bass sounded sweet. Those old Fenders have the nicest upper register (when its intonated right which is rare). I mean, I hate that song suck my kiss or whatever its called, but I listened til the last note because his tone was so nice. I did notice it farted a few times, sloppy technique or lame DI box? I also cant believe he actually uses GK for his rig just like in the ads? I mean here we are spending thousands on obscure and boutique gear and he gets "the Tone" with a fender Jazz and GK. Well Jaco was big on Acoustic amps so go figure. It IS all in the hands. Though I noticed I couldnt see his amp heads, maybe he is only using the GK cabs and running a MESA/Ampeg/Phil Jones/Aguilar head backstage? Or maybe he has super super custom wound in a virgins lap pickups?
    All I know is I want a Fender Jazz even more now. prolly the Geddy Lee model. Or I'll go to Subway Guitars and see if fatdog still has any.

20. I definitly dig his Jazz/GK set up - it's a killer rig!!!
    I think it's been covered in the amps forum - i think he uses GK RB2001 amps?

I still prefere the older tunes, but the new one is aight, dog. :bassist: