Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chilis-dont forget me

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chillwinsten, Oct 16, 2005.

1. chillwinsten

chillwinsten

Oct 16, 2005
    :hyper: im new to playing bass so sorry if this extreme newbie question but wat is flea doing in between every like time he plays a chord he does sumting like 4 times, on tabs it shows it as x's in rows of four?

please help :help:

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Mutes the strings with his left hand and quickly hits them.

3. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    there mutes, flea uses a pick when he plays this, so basicly hit them covering the strings but not pressing them down so they dont make any note

4. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Excuse me? No, I'm sorry, Flea does not use a pick. He just slaps the strings.

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

In all fairness, it really does sound like Flea is strumming those chords with a pick.

Also, I think I read in a BP around the time that album came out that he did in fact use a pick on that track. I could be mistaken though.

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    where have u saw him not use a pic when playing that? every live show i have seen him play that song he has used a pic, and that is alot of shows, i'm not sayin he has never slapped them but i have never seen him do it

he uses a pick for venice queen aswell

7. yeah, i thought flea started using a pick now...they made a big deal of it in his last BP cover story...i hear he studies jazz too...

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Which would be ironic, since he did in fact begin his music career as a trumpet player, jazz, I beleive, and his father played jazz. At least I think that's how the story goes.

9. 60hz

60hz

Oct 7, 2005
    He started using picks on Californication. Parallel Universe is pick style.

10. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Truly? I have never seen him use a pick. That's interesting. Sorry about the misinformation.

11. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i accept ur apology lol

12. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Flea uses a pick. On his gear list, he uses a Dunlop Tortex .60 I think from memory. Paralel Universe is indeed picked. He is also a perfectly competent finger style player not just slap and pop. And yes he was a trumpet player early in life, listen to Live At Hyde Park and he takes a trumpet solo.

13. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah, he had a trumpet solo on live at slane aswell, i wounder how he plays on the new chili's album

14. chilipepperflea

chilipepperflea Guest

Apr 13, 2005
    East Anglia
    Hey,

He also used a pic on the Zephyr song i believe. Just shows he can do pick, slap and finger, what else is there?

I hope i hear about this new album soon! Meant to be going back to some of there earlier stlyes of funk, whether were talking uplift mofo i don't know, don't think so or maybe the BSSM era? All i know is its release date is early next year (not offical and touring late next year, can't wait!!

Ryan

15. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Touchstyle. :)

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I know he plays with a pick sometimes but I thought that song was just strumming with nails.I suppose it doesn't matter