1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chime in: Boss micro br 80 vs. Zoom Hn4

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by volerium, Jul 27, 2012.

1. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    I've already decided to purchase M-audio for the at home line in recordings but for live band performances/practices does anyone have any real time use with either the boss micro recorder or the hn4?
    It would be used strictly for live only in bars and practice spaces, very loud and lots of noise going on and then transferred and messed with on the computer.
    Both recorders are going for between 250 and 300. Seeing as how I'll already be using the M-audio interface does anyone know if either of the boss or zoom would be more compatible that?

Both recorders have almost the same features as far as I can tell

2. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    From personal experience, I'd go with the Zoom. The Boss just doesn't seem to cut it for me. Zoom is much better :)

3. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    That's really what I was leaning towards. I have a boss br 600 now, the thin gray one that resembles a tablet or laptop. It sounds great recording through the built in mics but that thing is impossible to figure out! The menus are endless and I'm just not a fan of that thing at all. In fact I loathe it.
    But.. I've never even seen a zoom in person and have no idea how user friendly they may or may not be. From what I've read the menus can be lengthy but no real complaints about em and I hear the live recording is stellar.

4. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Well then, go for Zoom! Yeah, some menus can be lengthy, but that kinda comes with the territory to be honest. But the recording quality is fantastic :) Go for Zoom!

5. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I keep my Zoom in my bass case all the time and pull it out for rehearsals and occasional gigs. It's a great tool for learning tunes if you get called to fill in for somebody, I find it easy to use and the mics sound surprisingly good. Since it can record in mp3 or .wav files at any bitrate you desire it is easy to use files from the zoom into any home recording setup. Just record as wav. and import them into your system. Easy and user friendly. Zoom all the way. IMO

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Check out the Tascam DR-40. 4 channels simultaneously, XLR mic inputs and a slew of features.

Tascam brought it out to compete with the H4n and its only $200.

I checked on line and some places have below MAP pricing of $160 ! Killer deal.