1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chinese Bass took a hit in the oversize luggage compartment (photos).

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Spanky123, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    Chinese bass took a hit in the oversize luggage compartment (photos).

The picture is pretty much say at all, I guess. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a professional repair person because of the region I live in. So it’s going to be me and a bottle of Elmers. I think it’s pretty straightforward. Nice clean break at the nut . I feel less confident about the crack where the neck meets the body below the fingerboard. I don’t have anything like clamps, so it’s going to be glue and duct tape unless someone else has a better idea.

Attached Files:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK
    I am no Luthier but they look nice clean breaks, however you gotta get some clamps and decent adhesive. There must be a local wood worker who can help if not a Luthier?

ColdEye likes this.
  3. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    Hmmmm...

4. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Please, no white glue -- it wouldn't work anyway and it's a pain to remove when you need to correct it properly. Someone here can help you find a luthier to do this right. No settlement from the airline?

RSBBass likes this.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Elmer’s glue and duct tape? Dude. Just quit while you’re behind.

james condino, jsf729, ICM and 4 others like this.
  6. Levin S

Levin S Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Charlotte N.C.
    Hey there! Sorry to see your bass in such shape!

Looking through your profile, I don't see any info on what part of the world you're in; but I would 100% advise you to not attempt to use elmer's glue on the repair lol

I would recommend sourcing clamps and glue in that order. A hide type glue would be ideal, but I know that in some instances we have to work with what we have available. That being said, you'll need to stabilize the new joint in order to allow the glue to set properly. If the glue is not allowed to fully cure, the string tension will revert your bass right back to its current state, so some sort of clamp or strap would be paramount here.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

EDIT: I would seek a settlement from the airline as well - completely glossed over that part...

7. These guys

Howard Core Company

will have about everything you need, including the glue (you will need to read up on converting the granules to liquid glue). As has been mentioned, avoid white glue entirely. Clamping will be a bit more esoteric and invites more research from you and/or more commentary from us. But these breaks are entirely fixable.

I'm no luthier either, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn espresso machine last night.

jsf729 likes this.
  8. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Dear GW,

What, exactly, do they put in that coffee!?!?

9. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Oh, and to the OP,

It IS pretty straightforward:

No matter where you live
    , you can order $15 worth of hide glue and purchase $2o worth of clamps, and do a decent home-made repair.

Or, with $5 worth of Elmer's and duct tape, you can make your bass unplayable.

Groove Doctor and ColdEye like this.
  10. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

OT - What kind of trunk or container was the bass secured in during the trip?
    Just curious.
    Thanks.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Fire wood.

12. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    I have a feeling the OP checked his bass in a soft case. Hoping to be corrected... but that don't look like flight trunk damage.

Also, wouldn't expect to get anything from the airline... you generally have to sign away all rights when you check an instrument nowadays... personal/private instrument insurance or nothing.

Hoping there is a happy ending to this,

John

ColdEye, salcott and Don Kasper like this.
  13. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks for the comments folks. I think it’s going to be zip ties to keep it clamped, and carpenters glue which I can get (not Elmers).

I’ll post when I fix it. And to all you wet blankets that say it’s firewood and such, I’ll have this thing up and playing in 72 hours. Jeez.

For those curious about travel arrangements, I shipped it in oversize luggage out of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Soft case. I bought the bass for $400 in China and that’s the way I do things. Fast and loose. If it breaks I glue it. A hard case costs more than the bass does and just causes more problems than it solves.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. Don Kasper

Ah, there's the rub.
    Thanks and Good Luck to you.

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    So everyone suggests hide glue but you’re still gonna use something else. Why bother posting?

16. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    It’s not the first time I Have had to glue a neck back together because I travel in oversize luggage with a soft case. I know what I’m doing.

17. Don Kasper

Ah, there's the rub.
    Good Luck to you, Spanky123.

Levin S and ColdEye like this.
  18. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    I’m currently living in a small desert community in the Middle East. A shipment of hot glue here would take at least six weeks, and it’s possible I wouldn’t get it at all.

EDIT: Come to think of it, because it’s an animal product, it probably wouldn’t make it through customs anyway.

If you take a look back at the thread, not everyone said I needed to use Hyde glue, and in fact I don’t. The bass is going to be just fine with some professional carpenters glue. It’s a decent plywood instrument that I bought in China for $400. The way I’m Handling it makes perfect sense for the lifestyle I lead. I post here because I often get helpful suggestions, and I appreciate the posters who have offered some.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  19. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    Here step one of the operation: gluing the scroll back on. I don’t have any clamps so it’s gonna have to be a zip tie. The glue I’m using is a water Soluble wood glue called Gorilla glue. It’s the best I could find. I think it’s going to be OK.

Next up is the bigger crack where the neck meets the body. It’s a nice clean break so I think it’ll glue up just fine. The only thing I’m really worried about is getting enough glue deep down in without pulling the crack apart farther, and risking more damage. Suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files:

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  20. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    Here’s step two: I watered down the glue a little bit and sunk it in as deep as I could with the paper shim. I think I got the whole surface. It’s duct tape and zip ties again to Clamp it down.

How long should I keep it stabilized before I Try to string it up and play it?

Attached Files:

Povl Carstensen likes this.