Chinese Democracy (Guns 'N Roses)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Damn. This has got to be one of the most anticipated rock album release ever, right? We've been waiting for about five or six years now, since Axl and new lineup began writing and recording. Supposedly it will be out early next year. But that's what they said last year and the year before. Heard anything new?
  2. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i heard axl is a fat, washed up, old, used to be important, non rock-star nowadays...

and that theyre still workin on the album :rolleyes:

seriously, he should just pack it in, the old albums were good, but just let it die
  3. Nah, I disagree with you there, Leper. There have been many great comebacks in the history of rock 'n' roll. There was the Elvis Comeback in '68. Nobody thought U2 could possibly do anything else after the 80's ended, but they made something completely different with 'Achtung Baby' in '91. John Lennon made a comeback with 'Double Fantasy' in 1980 before he was killed. Then there was John Fogerty in 1983 or '4 who made a comeback with CENTERFIELD. So it is possible.
  4. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I'm sorry but I agree with leper, G'n'R first postponed then cancelled the UK leg of their tour, I could understand the postponement, but to cancel; I'm sorry but the look on the face of my other half when I told her they had pulled it altogether, it was bad enough when it was postponed. They should just call it a day, they are not that important that the world will miss them, or should I say him (referring to Axl Rose here). By dragging this out and carrying on Axl is just cheapening the G'n'R brand and dragging down all the good work that went Before.

Man this *irritates* me to say it but they are one band I'd like to see, but I'll be glad if I don't, if it means that the rubbish delays over release of the new album and messing fans about with tour dates doesn't happen.

Sorry Axl but it ain't appreciated.

Just my opinions but I'm sure I'm not alone
  5. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    hehe, that pretty much sums up my pov, albeit much more eloquently than I said it :)
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't think this is Axl's fault. Buckethead had an embolism.
  7. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Yeah, bucket heads fault for the postponement, but is it his fault for the cancellation?

To be fair I don't know the answer this but my previous comments stand, after all it's not like it's Slash! I'm sure they could get a replacement for the UK leg of the tour.

again just my opinion.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I file this in the who cares dept. personally, but does it surprise anyone that a guy whose known for his towering arrogance has such disregard for his fans?
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I haven't been waiting. I think it's going to be a huge letdown and ol' Willie is gonna be sorry to find that Steven, Duff, Izzy and Slash had as much to do with their past success as he did.

I'll always have my Appetite for Destruction though.
  10. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Yes, comebacks can and do and have worked in the past for artists like Elvis and John Fogerty, etc. But, to me....this won't be a Guns N Roses comeback, because, sorry, this new line-up AIN'T Guns N Roses. No Slash, No Sorum, No Duff, and Gilby Clarke (who is bad-ass in my opinion). Now they got Buckethead.....nuff said....

This would've been like Robert Plant firing Page and Jones in the 80s, and hiring Danny Bonaduche (bass), Peter Frampton (guitar), and Mickey Dolenz (drums) to take their places and still call it Led Zep.
  11. except axl's replacements are actually quite talented.. I can't speak for all of them but Brain (formerly of Primus) is a great drummer and Buckethead is insanely good (quite a bit left of center for most but I enjoy his stuff a lot).
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm with Steamboat on this one. Brain is great, and Buckethead is absofrikkinlutely nuts. So, there might be hope yet...
  13. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Again....this is NOT a Guns N Roses reunion. In my opinion, this is an Axl Rose solo album. A solo album with a great backing band, taking nothing away from Buckethead and crew.

However, too many vital pieces of the puzzle are missing. While Buckethead may be great, he hasn't the aura and intrigue of Slash./
  14. I definitely see your point Jiles.. I just thought you were directly comparing the new guys to Danny Bonaduce etc.
  15. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    yeah, Steamboat thats all I was trying to say. GNR was a group of distinct and talented (sans Duff on the talent part) personalities. I mean, Slash was the mystical, Page-like guitar god. Gilby Clark was the cool, Keith Richards like rythm player, and Duff...well, he was just Duff.
  16. gilby was good but he was also izzy stradlin's replacement. gilby only recorded on the "spaghetti incident" album, everything else has izzy on it.

are g'n'r even on geffen anymore? supposedly "chinese democracy" is going to come out on the sanctuary label instead.
  17. Gn'R? Ha! What a blatent money grab! I'd probably go see them if it was REALLY them. Imagine how much money Axl is going to make just by calling his band "Guns N' Roses"!
    Now, imagine how insanely people would flock to a tour if it was the original line up! Even if it were just Axl and Slash, it would be sold-out EVERYWHERE.

And they STILL wouldn't have the right to call themselves GNR, let alone produce an album under that guise!

18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Axl isn't even close to the same level of musician and class as the other people mentioned in this post. These people had something to draw on for a's pretty apparent that Axl has nothing of the sort...except an ego that won't let him admit when he's done.