Chinese food is the shizzy for rizzie

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know it's not really what the Chinese eat every day, but my lord, this is the best food on earth... give me some General Tso, Lo Mein, and some Fried Cream Cheese Won Tons every day of my life and I'll be a happy man, with terrible heart/digestion problems.
  2. The Crab Ran Something things are friggin awsome!
  3. oh man, general tso is so good.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There's a cheap chinese takeout place just down the road from my school. I go there when the dining area's closed (or I'm sick of campus food) and I want something cheap to satiate myself. It's good enough for the time it takes to get it and the price, certainly not a fine dining experience, and if I eat it too often I get sick.

It's been a while since I've had a fine Chinese dining experience. I think I need to go into the city.
  5. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Even better than a plain Chinese resturant is a Chinese buffet. I went to one in San Antonio that had the name Panda in it and it was increadble. No it wasn't Panda Express.
  6. Mmmmmmm.....

Wife and I love us some Panda Express!!!

She gets the Orange Chicken with Fried Rice, I get Orange Chicken with Fried Rice and Firecracker Chicken (all smothered with red chili paste Mmmmmmm )
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In general I typically find the food at a nonbuffet restaurant to be far superior to buffet food. I'd take qaulity over quantity just about every time.

brad cook
  8. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'll agree with you there. The nonbuffet resturants have higher quality food, but after a long day of band practice paying $7 to have all you want and all different kinds is awesome. The advantage to buffet is there are so many things to choose from.
  9. Chicken lo mein, fried pork rice, and oyster wings are badass.

I've never tried General Tso's chicken, but I have heard nothing but great things about it, I'll try it next time I have chinese for dinner.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This thread should actually be called "American Chinese food is the shizzy for rizzie." Having lived in China I can tell you that the food we're mentioning here only barely resembles the food I ate there. Every once in a while though I'll stumble upon a restaurant that has some pretty authentic stuff.

brad cook
  11. Indeed, Brad.
    There is no character in Chinese history, either genuine or in fairy tales, named General Tso.

But...since most of you are in the US and have likely never been to China, I suppose I can let it slide this time. :p
  12. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    If anyone happens to be in Seattle at some point, I highly reccomend Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon for chinese. Handmade noodles, etc.
  13. I want to go to Panda Express. It looks very cool. Hey, anything to do with a Panda has to be good, right?
  14. Agreed, likewise with Taco Bell vs. actual food from Mexico. However comma, although Panda Express and Taco Bell do little justice in being authentic, it's still good 'shizzy' :D .

I've enjoyed Thai food here in the U.S. that was quite faithful to what I've eaten in Thailand.
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Me too. Good stuff. Thai food hasn't had the chance to be americanized yet I guess.

brad cook
  16. Chinese food is the best food ever, i love it. Problem is it is so filling I can never eat mroe than 3 plate fulls....
  17. I wonder if "general Tso" Sounds like a dirty or disgusting Chinese phrase, All the cooks having a big laugh, everytime somone orders it.

"Hey I can't belive we got another one to order the "Mike Hunt" again.

"....Waiter, is Mike Hunt spicy?"

"....Waiter, is Mike Hunt tasty?"

I just know its a big conspiracy!!!!
  18. I like how that article uses both "Guangdong" and "Canton" almost as if to mean 2 seperate places, when they are in fact the same.

As for the history...well, I suppose I stand corrected, but I would need to verify that with something more...genuinely Chinese.
  19. This is the meaning of "General Tso 左宗棠":

左: Left (the direction)
    宗: School; sect; ancestor; family
    棠: Cherry-apple

So his surname means "left", and his first name means "Of the cherry-apple family", or something like that. So not sure there's any humorous real meaning behind General Tso chicken.