1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chinese food thread, again, only serious TBer's allowed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Jun 14, 2014.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Wazzup. Some people like exotic/foreign cuisine. I love Chinese food. One of the things I like about it is there is no butter. I hate butter.
    My favorite entree is, and I've heard it's not even a real Chinese dish, is General Tso's chicken. Regardless of whether I am at a fast-food or eloquent sit-down restaurant, this entree is usually good. I love going to hole-in-the-wall authentic Chinese restaurants at a Chinatown. Fast-food mall Chinese restaurants are awful, but I seem to be drawn to them over hamburger and pizza joints.
    I used to like egg foo young until I found out that I'm eating the calorie and cholesterol equivalent of a medium pepperoni pizza and a Big Mac with one serving.
    I also love shrimp with lobster sauce.

What's your favorite entree?

2. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Mongolian Beef / Beef and Mushroom or General Tso's, all good stuff.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Crispy whole bass in black bean sauce. For junk food great home made dumplings.

I dated a Chinese girl for several years and learned much about it. I learned never to ask before I sampled.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    General Tso's is American Chinese, but it's delicious all the same. I don't know where you live, but seek out Dim Sum places, and get chicken feet. It's so damn good. But not all Dim Sum places are alike, so you might have to try a couple of them. Sticky Rice, Hum Bao, Fried Raddish thingie (I don't know the Chinese name for it) are all pretty good.

Note: my wife is Chinese (well, Taiwanese), so I usually let her do the talking/ordering and just get to eat. I'm learning Mandarin and Taiwanese and am picking it up (very slowly), but those items should be a good start. Don't be afraid to just ask for something off of the cart and eat it!

Edit:
    Oh! I forgot - get the Honey Walnut Prawns as a desert. mmmmmm
    And certainly avoid the fast food ones. Panda Expresss, P.F. Chang etc. are all pretty bad once you've had the "real deal". If you can find a family owned one, you'll probably be pretty well off. A lot of Thai places will have Chinese food too (and vice-versa), so don't rule those out. There's times when my wife's mother makes family dinner and I have no idea what I'm eating but it's always so good... then I order it at a restaurant later and it's very lame in comparison. One of our favorites to do is Chinese Hot Pot dinner.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Flushing, NY has some great tea house/dim sum places. When the waitresses come by with something that looks good, just point.

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm unsure that I qualify as a serious TBer.

DeathFromBelow and nukes_da_bass like this.
  7. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Beef Pepper Steak.

I like Thai food too - Drunken Noodles with beef or seafood. Medium-> hot. Depends if beer will be consumed.

8. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    upload_2014-6-14_19-28-37.

Fresh, inexpensive, good. Stringbeans are tops, as is Mongolian Beef.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    My favorite is the Moo Goo Gai Pan with $2 extra chicken. The place we've been going for 20 years is the real deal and the best in the city, imo and ime.

Big +1 to avoiding PF Chang. We went to the local one after they advertised about being the premiere Chinese eatery and honestly it was bland at best as well as overpriced. The same could be said for Olive Garden when it comes to Italian food.

10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    This is OT - seriousness not tolerated, but beer is always welcome, especially when Big Ed is buyin'.

11. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    NO PF CHANG!
    WORST (**^&^% Chinese food I ever had in a restaurant, and expensive.

Hey wait a minute, I like their Orange chicken, the one that's packaged, in the Supermarket.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Serious tb'r = someone who knows everything about everything, including Chinese food. Therefore, every tb'r is a serious tb'r.

13. I am no master cook in the slightest, but I made this the other night and it was stupid delicious.
    IMG_20140604_213115_042.

HolmeBass, SBassman and hhirbe like this.
  14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I serious TBer. I serious Chinese food. I serious in General.

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Keep switching restaurants , always get chicken soo guy until you find a place that makes it heavenly.

Here in Ottawa it's at the Golden Palace.

16. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    soya chilli prawns and burnt (burned?) garlic fried rice... mmmmmmm

17. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I am heaps serious TBr. there is a Chinese restaurant in my work's building. I usually ask the server to recommend something and then eat it. It's been great everytime

18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Cree MO sum yun guy.

19. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Somebody always has to ruin a good thing....

20. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    Peking duck with fresh made wraps!