Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chinese health balls

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Anyone here have a set of these? i got a set at a mall i went to monday, and i think they are awesome!

anyone got a site as to exactly how you are supposed to use them? i know you rotate them around in your hand, but i believe there are certain parts they are supposed to massage/touch to be effective.

2. I want one. I need one.

3. You spin them around in your palm without them touching eachother. Pretty hard.

4. Quite the opposite. They are supposed to be in contact the whole time.

There is no specific method with which to use them. You rotate them clockwise and then counterclockwise within each hand. The key is giving the hands a good, yet subtle and therapeutic workout...which is common in Asian health regimen...subtlety and harmony is key.

5. that is actually a way that was described on a page during my Google search.

cool.. i've been playin' with them all day.

6. That is how I have been told to do it all my life. Just like how I squeeze my toothpaste. Don't squeeze my toothpaste.

7. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Quit playin' with your balls.

:bag:

8. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Actually, I have a set of those too, and they are pretty darned cool. Give an intelligent culture thousands of years to figure something out, and they do a pretty good job of it!

I keep them in contact with each other at all times, and it really does help your hands. It is just as Mon Rominee said, subtle and therapeutic. I've found it to be rather mentally relaxing as well. I haven't tried NOT allowing them to touch. The ones I have are somewhat large :ninja: so that would provide quite a challenge.

I would also like to pre-emptively apologize for the adolescent humor, but it was just too tempting! :D

9. Do both methods. Theyre both excellent for bassplayers/guitarists/drummers and keyboardists.

I can do the touch and no touch for 2.
    but a keyboardist i know can do 3.. barerly.. but still impressive.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    It's about time you got a pair.

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If I were Chinese, I'd have a ball with this thread.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've got blue balls. Really.

I roll them at my cats and they're quite surprised when the they try to roll them back at me. It's fun.
    A kid had them in school once (I work in a HS for those who don't know) and it was so great to legally be able to say, "Stop playing with your balls in the classroom please." A true highpoint in my teaching career.

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    You teach in NYC school system ?! God Bless you. I nominate Joe Nerve for sainthood.

14. there is no technique for this, you just have to play with them. i used to have a pair, but it was stolen with a bag with some underwear and a t shirt and some other things. uhm... i miss the t shirt... :rolleyes:

go with four ctbs here

http://www.handhealth.com/ffchallenge.asp

15. I have a pair of these, as well. The chinese fellow that was behind the counter told me that the best exercise to do with them was to rotate the two in one hand. They can touch or not touch, either way is fine... but you should strive to move them slowly and deliberately and prevent them from making any noise. You'd be surprised how much dexterity you will gain, once you can do this...

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I own a pair.

They helped me recover 100% after breaking my fretting hand.

17. Well, I'm here to tell you that if you get real imaginative, there is another use for them and your girlfriend or wife might really enjoy them too!

Trust me!

:bag:

18. Oh, been there... :D

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, but then you have to buy a rocking chair, and the whole thing just gets terribly expensive . . . :D

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [​IMG]