Chinese Made DBs List

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bass_snake, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could post all of the Chinese made basses on here. I know that Christopher, Shen, Palatino, Cremona, Eastwood...are made in China.

I' m a rookie in the upright bass world and just curious to which brands they are. I have nothing against them...just wanted to know. :D

thanks,

Fred

2. I play around NYC on a Xuechang Sun and constantly get compliments on how great it sounds.

Wan Bernandel is also a high-quality Chinese bass. I may be incorrect but I believe some Wilfers are manufactured in China now as well?

3. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Thanks. :) Are Strunals really made in Czech Republic?

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think it's and endless and growing list. And, yes, being Chinese makes them neither good nor bad. I've seen some that I really liked.

If I'm correct about this, Eastman has their basses made in either China or Romania and then finishes them out and sets them up in the greater Boston area before they put them on the market.

If I am mistaken about Eastman, someone please correct me. My mammories ain't what they used to be.

5. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Has your bra size changed?

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I don't remember.

7. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    You are. I think 'Juzeks' are being made in China, not Wilfer. Wilfer builds their basses in Germany, and its name has always been a cut or two above Juzek when it came to basses.

8. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Rockabillybass.com's investigative reporter "Feral Feline" attended the 2008 Music China show in Shanghai last fall and did a little research. You can read about a few more models of Chinese basses right here.

9. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Thanks Bass for the link. :)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I told you he was really the same person as Troika! ;)

11. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Yes you're correct about Eastman Troy. Most models are made in the white in China by hand in an assembly line fashion. They are then shipped to Maryland for varnish and setup. Since Eastman now owns several shops in Europe, anything that has a name other than Samuel Eastman or Andreas Eastman might come from Europe.

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Which shouldn't offend anyone. I don't have personal experience with those instruments, but it's a reasonable approach to insure quality and save money in production.

13. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    It's probably quality control as well. I think that varnishing them in China would be a horrible idea. The instruments shrink being shipped all the way over here and the varnish would look like a shattered windshield..

14. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    "Feral Feline" posts a link to http://www.bj-eastman.com/products.html. Check out the basses. Look like a certain well known maker to you? They even posted Pöllmann's latest model. And as "Feral Feline" noted, what's with the dental chair at the bottom?

15. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    It's in case the gig really starts to suck, you can opt out for a root canal instead.

bob

16. MilesC

MilesC

Mar 16, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    I think Shens are some of the best basses ever. I play a Shen hybrid and love it! I really like the Shen Willow fully carved basses...they go for about $5k but compete with other $10k basses.

17. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    I've seen hundreds of basses made and varnished in China, and I've yet to see a single one with "shattered windshield" syndrome. Have you actually seen this? :eyebrow:

18. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    "Insert foot in mouth"

Pure speculation on my part. I have seen instruments coming from Europe having significant shrinking issues. Perhaps not with the varnish, but with other issues affecting seams, setup, etc..

I just think the idea of varnishing and setting them up here in America where they will be sold is a good one..

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021