1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

chinese micro pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raziel4635, Dec 17, 2018.

1. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    I've been looking into getting some pedals to use with my bass and I have come up with the electro-harmonix battalion.
    now,I actually went to a store and used the pedal with my own bass on an amp they had there and I have to say:

LOVED the distortion
    EQ was functional but maybe I would have wanted a bit more adjustability in the mids
    compressor was ok but again would have liked a bit more
    noise gate was kinda wonky and maybe produced a hissing sound(not sure if it was the pedal's fault or the cable's fault because I was using the store's cables)

would have liked if the compressor and noise gate were separated from the rest of the pedal,you can't turn on the compressor or noise gate without activating the eq.
    distortion is activated with a different switch which is awesome.

all in all,it's an ok all in one pedal solution for someone like me who has no other gear other than a bass,a cable and whatever amp the gig or studio has lying around.
    but at 140 euro,I find it a bit steep for..uhh...someone like me who mainly plays at home or band rehearsals and currently has no live gigs scheduled :p

so I thought maybe I could find a cheaper alternative in ordering pedals from aliexpress because why not?
    here's what I got so far.
    KOKKO COMPRESSOR
    US $18.26 50% OFF|KOKKO Guitar Pedal Effect Compressor FCP2 Mini Electric Bass Guitar Effects True Bypass Musical instruments High Quality-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

KOKKO DISTORTION
    US $18.24 22% OFF|KOKKO FDS2 Mini Aluminum Alloy Distortion Pedal Portable Electric Bass Guitar Ukulele Effect Pedal Guitar Parts & Accessories-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

COOLMUSIC EQ
    US $19.56 |Coolmusic C EQ01 Equalizer Pedal Guitar Pedal Effects Bass Pedal Acostic Guitar Pedal-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

POWER SUPPLY
    US $28.88 25% OFF|Guitar Effect Pedals Board Power Supply 10 Isolated Outputs (8 Way DC 9V & 1 Way DC 12V & 1 Way 18V) Voltage Protection New E-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'm pretty confident the kokko pedals will be good...I've seen quite a few videos and reviews and they sound pretty nice
    the coolmusic eq,couldn't find anything on that but the frequencies it has on there seem quite good to play around...it's missing a 50 or 60 hz slider but its mid-section 200-800 seems nice
    and finally a power supply that again,couldn't find any good info on but according to feedback from aliexpress,amazon and ebay should work ok.....?

those 4 cost 80 euro which is half the price of the battalion and it seems more of a sensible starting point for a pedal noob,not to mention I could pick up a fuzz or an octaver or something later,because that power supply has like a dozen outputs,and still hover around the same price point as the battalion.
    they should take like a month or so to arrive but I'm not in a hurry.
    I also feel that having different pedals to play around will allow me to get closer to a "perfect tone" rather than one on/off pedal

would you recommend those pedals I've linked?
    maybe you could recommend some other pedals that don't bust the bank?
    should I just bite the bullet and get the battalion?

thanks for making to the end of this long post...didn't intend to make it this big haha

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Amazing.

radbass likes this.
  3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Seems like good entry level effects. I say go for it.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool! :hyper:

be sure to get back and let us know about the pedals from china! :thumbsup:

5. Wow, that is really cheap on that power supply! All the other pedals seem reasonably priced as well. Maybe Behringer saw the writing on the wall, which would explain why their bass offerings have been massively reduced (and likely marketed by the TC Electronics name). I have not heard of Kokko before but I did buy a Joyo Iron Man series pedal which I quite like. Good luck!

6. Get the new Battalion Nano

Abe-of-Bass and zapped777 like this.
  7. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    The battalion nano is definitely not a good choice for me since it has the distortion and the eq all in one switch.
    I want my distortion to be a different switch so i can turn it on and off whenever i want regardless of eq or compression
    The nano doesn't have compression as well and is around the same price point as the standard battalion.

So noone has ever used or heard of those pedals?
    I was hoping for some actual experience since they seem to be quite well known for budget solutions

8. It sounds like you just need to lay out the cash to get what you want. There’s no magic solution.

gregmon79 and iondico like this.
  9. I haven't tried the brands you mention but I'm a big fan of Joyo's ironman series.
    I sometimes see them re-branded and even cheaper (Harley Benton, Artist).

The wow-wah is a pretty good envelope filter - a snow white clone.
    Ocho is an OC2 clone and pretty close to the original.
    The chorus and flanger are basic but solid with reasonable bass retention.
    There are also a lot of dirt boxes each with its own baked in character which you'll either like or not.
    The clean glass (fender amp sim) is my favourite overdrive so far in the series.
    Metalhead has a good tonal range but like all high-gain distortion it buzzes unless you have really quiet equipment and environment. The bullet metal is similar but with a noise gate which unfortunately costs you one of the tone knobs.

I haven't tried any of the delay / reverb stuff yet.
    I'm skeptical any of them will achieve Source Audio or Neunaber level of quality.
    That stuff's much more difficult to clone cheaply and effectively.

10. I just ordered the Joyo looper pedal for one reason - play the loop, engage the entire band, and go out front to mix with my iPad (into a Ui16). I can mix while leaving my bass onstage. Brilliant idea I stole from others - can’t wait to try it out!!!

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Chinese pedals are a gamble.
    Usually they are clones of something famous and can sound pretty good, but quality is quite often really bad (ranging from totally malfunctioning pedals to minor problems like some unadjusted trim pot inside or grounding issues due to painted enclosure, which can be fixed quite easily).
    Try buying from sellers with a good rating. I had a problems with chinese pedals twice, but got a refund both times (the only thing they've asked is to leave a 5 star rating).

12. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Have you seen the Hotone Bass Station? That has switchable drive separate from the eq and compressor.
    Hotone B Station Review | Premier Guitar

I've got one chinese micro pedal, not Kokko but it's totally cool.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  13. Tekkers

Tekkers

Dec 16, 2018
    GMT
    I wouldn’t buy any of the knockoff Chinese pedals tbh, they’re basically all reverse-engineered versions of existing pedals by proper brands with much lower prices and sometimes a gimmick like tiny enclosures.

I know it’s a bargain and I don’t want to sound all preachy telling you what to do with your own money, but I would buy the actual version from the legit manufacturer, maybe used if possible to keep the price down.

My concern is that in the future, enough people buying the cheap knockoffs will start to drive some of the original manufacturers (especially the smaller companies) out of business. That’s not imminent but every decision made today contributes towards that outcome.

Just my own opinion, obviously yours may completely vary and that’s fine.

Frank77, iondico and brianmharrison like this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If you want those fx now and don't want to spend a lot of money - this is your option.

15. Good on you for clear thinking. Seems you indeed want separate pedals. How about starting by ordering one or two and see how it goes: quality, service, etc. Then take it from there, maybe you then decide to try something else entirely.

16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Maybe not micro, but I have a couple of the Caline mini pedals which are in the £20 range... the Pure Sky is a clone of the Timmy low gain overdrive, and the Hot Mushroom a clone of the MXR Dynacomp. Both are great pedals.

17. Works great, just because it does not say bass on it , does not mean it won't work. It's a very nice sounding chorus on bass. dunlop-mxr-micro-chorus-3d-model-obj-3ds-c4d-dxf.

baSfo likes this.
  18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    For the cost of buying those 3 pedals and a power supply, you could get a budget bass specific multi effects unit such as the zoom MS60B or B1on for similar money (okay, you'll need a power supply for multistomp, but some cheaper universal ones work just as well for home use). You'll have a decent choice of compressors, drives and eq not to mention plenty of other effects to play with and a tuner.

That said, drive and distortion has historically been a tricky effect to create digitally for low cost multi effects units, but honestly, for your intended use, I think one of these will be just fine.

Otherwise, if you have a iphone/ipad, you might want to look into getting an interface and using software such as bias effects, or jampup.

19. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Recently had a guitar player friend that purchased a few of these China pedal (micro ones). I forgot which brands or what effects (I do remember a tuner, an overdrive, and a chorus). He got a couple others to set up a pedal board. And thought he set the world on fire with cheap prices. I do remember there was one that the knobs came off on the tuning pots when he got it. They certainly didn't sound good, or comparable to most common US pedals. I thought they were junk, but I'd never say that to him.

All I can say is they were noisy, and made with cheap pots, switches, and even jacks. The problem with the Chinese is, they will copy a good design but use the cheapest parts known to man in the construction. Sooner or later that inexpensive construction will show up during use, bad or noisy connections, scratchy pots or dead spots, or even just break out right. Bad timing is at a gig, for sure.

Remember, you stomp on a pedal on the floor, they get a lot of abuse. Connectors need to make good contact. always. Pot adjustments need to be quiet and consistent. So quality construction is necessary. So as I say, you get what you pay for.

Many major manufacturers may have products being built in China, but they are built to that manufacturer's specifications, that includes individual parts. So they maintain their reputation, they demand those specification be followed during construction. But a Chinese company has no need for such specifications.

So Caveat emptor, buyer beware.

Tekkers likes this.
  20. For me, size is the main attraction of the Joyo minis.
    I mostly have first-run pedals but I like having a few minis which fit in my case.
    So far I've been impressed with the quality - a definite step up from Mooer and Tone City.