1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

chinese "new cleveland group"?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rdwhit, Jan 6, 2007.

1. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    No, not a New standard Cleveland. I saw a picture of a bass in stock at a shop discribed as " Chinese, New Cleveland group". The shoulders have the same steep slope as Eastmans. No discription was given about ply/hybrid/carved. Price is $3,300 & said to be 1/2 price of a new one. This is a reputable shop which I have done business w/often. I'm looking for a back up bass(and in no hurry). I plan to take the 100 mile trip this week to check out some decent lower end basses. Does anyone know about these basses ? Is it a BSO(doubtful from this shop), or is it of the guality of shen/christopher/eastman etc ? My main bass is a New Standard La Scala hybrid. I an 1880 carved german bass for 10 years & have owned various basses valued from 1k to 9k, so I'm not a newbie. Just curious, anybody know anything about This bass? Thanks -Rob

2. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    That should say I PLAYED an 1880 bass for 10 years,I can't type !

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    That's probably the ad Rob is referring to in his original post (the Bass Cellar is the only big shop around these parts, and it's 100 miles from Louisville).

I haven't heard of these basses, but I find the "New Cleveland Group" moniker to be pretty hilarious. Arnold and Wil's creation has become so popular that the Chinese makers are already ripping off the name, as with "Cremona" or "Gand Bernadel!" Andy Stetson doesn't stock crappy basses in his shop, so I look forward to hearing a report on this one.

4. Not New Standard Cleveland, but it might be a decent bass. Found via Google:

As Jeremy surmised, these are imports from China. Here's where I saw that:

Like the Lucchini violins these instruments are made in China, then varnished at the New Cleveland Group shop in Cleveland Ohio.

Here's the address for New Cleveland Group:

New Cleveland Group 10823 Magnolia Dr Cleveland, OH

This says NCG used to be Goronok:

New Cleveland Group (formerly Goronok String Instruments)

This address seems to confirm that:

Goronok String Instruments 10823 Magnolia Dr Cleveland, OH 44106

www.stringsmagazine.com article mentions Goronok

5. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Nice detective work Jeremy & Glivanos ! Yeah, ripping off the new standard name was sure to come soon. I guess it's a new kid on the block or the same wine in a new bottle. I havn't made it to Andys yet, hope to go there in the next week or so. I'll check out other basses too, but than one caught my curiousity. I'll give it a review. Thanks , Rob

6. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Thanks PoorPlayer. The 1st shop Your search came up with is here in Louisville. He doesn't stock basses, but has orderd a couple for students of mine. He only gets entry level basses and doesn't keep any in stock. I'd rather go to Cincy & shop with Andy and/or Nick Lloyd. I sold my old carved bass at Andys and bought my La Scala from Nick.

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Actually, the New Cleveland Group has been around for years and has nothing to do with the New Standard Instrument Co. They sell some nice accessories which we (New Standard and AES) purchase on a regular basis. I have no knowledge pertaining to the quality of their imported instruments, but they sell quality accessories and tools, and are nice to deal with. I believe they call the business "New Cleveland Group" because they are in Cleveland.

8. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Thanks Arnold, nice to have some things cleared up.I feel better about that because I love my La Scala & talk up New Standards alot. I hope to see the NCG bass soon. Nobody seems to know about them.