1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CHINESSE CONTREBASSE

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by GCbass, Dec 17, 2006.

1. GCbass

GCbass

Sep 24, 2006
    Hello Patrick, i would like to know if you have seen contrabasse made by a chinesse maker called Ma Zhibin, the distributor is Yitamusic.
    I know that we should try a instrument before buying, but sometimes
    it s not always possible.
    Thanks
    Gil

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Hi Gil,
    I am sorry to tell you that, no, I do not know this maker or the model of bass. Yes, try everything! But, hey all expenditures are educational. If you happen to get what you want, sight unseen, great! Let me know what YOU think of the bass.
    Best for the Holidays!
    PN

3. Let's resurrect this thread!!! I have one of these Ma Zhibin DB I have purchased 5-6 years ago! Beautiful bass with selected gorgeous highly figured carved back and sides and spurse belly, the neck and the scroll also look the part. I had ebony hat pegs, wooden endpin and new best grade bridge cut for it. As most carved new bass the wood still moves, settles and yes it did open up on the side once, easily fixed. Two different luthier told me that I can expect that with any new bass. I watched that bass for over 5 years maturing and the sound opening and I could say that it is one of the best bass I played in the past 30 years! Recently had the bass stripped and varnished with oil varnish and it looks and sounds just amazing, playing jazz only I have gut D&G and Supersilver E&A. It is like buying a lottery ticket but if you have a friendly luthier these beautiful carved basses are worth every dollar. Not a great investment like a French or German basses but still great workhorses with excellent tone. I would never sell mine.

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Pics?

5. I wish I can post the sound that comes out of that beast!

6. The pictures might be a little too red but that is only because of the strong flash of the camera!

7. I wish I can put them in one quote!

8. By the way the guy in a red jumper pulling the soft cover off his very first bass and that was Czech ply bass NOT a Ma Zhibin!!! That picture was taken 31 years ago when I was 13! :)