Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chip in bass, how might I fix it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Convectuoso, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Hey, first post.

I've got a Jazz bass copy and I took it out of it's bag and found a chip roughly 2-3 inches above the neck pickup.

And it seems to stick out really bad, so is there anyway I can get rid of it?

I've been told black nail polish can help but I just wanted to make sure.

Well, thanks in advance.

:)

2. Is there not anyone that can help?

3. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Is this just a chip in the finish? in the fretboard? please describe it a little better.:cool:

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    If it's a chip in the paint, then yeah, fingernail polish will work great. I keep a bottle of clear in my case for emergencies. :smug:

5. Yeah it's in the body. I was thinking with nail pilish would it be thick enough to actually fill in the gap?

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Nail polish won't make the gap invisible, but it will be thick enough to handle everyday use.

7. So it just dries hard?

If it does, can I use a clear bottle or does it have to be black? (colour of my bass)

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Nail polish is most often nitro lacquer -- a VERY common paint on guitars, basses, etc. As for color, well, I suppose that's up to you.

Personally, I'd use black.

9. Call Dale! :D

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Resque Rangers were the stuff when I was kid. :smug:

And nail polish is, in my experiences (my mom does nails on the side), pretty hard stuff.