1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chip in Neck Binding - urgent repair?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Grahams Groove, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I've included a picture of a small chip in the white binding at the heel end of the neck (G/treble side). Is this something that I should be concerned about in terms of it getting worse or causing an issue over time?

It seems insignificant, but I would also imagine there are ways to fill/fix to smooth that out without getting in too deep (i.e. over my head).

Edited to say - it obviously won't get in the way of fretting or be felt while playing. I'm more concerned about mitigating future issues.

Appreciate any insight!
    upload_2018-11-19_23-23-57.

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    No, that chip isn't likely to cause further problems. If it were broken all the way through the binding, then you might worry about the binding starting to peel loose. Not here.

Those chips can be repaired with small piece of matching plastic and some Acetone. Basically, you file up some plastic sawdust and mix it with the Acetone to make a paste. Quickly apply the paste to the notch, and it will melt itself in, filling it. File it smooth and polish it, and the repair will be nearly invisible. That's the normal technique.