1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chipaholics: ever buy something nobody likes so they won't eat it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SBassman, Jun 4, 2016.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hello. My name is Frank, and I am a chipaholic.

Ever buy chips or pretzels that you know the rest of the family doesn't like - so that you have a fighting chance of keeping chips/pretzels in stock in the house. :)

They keep wiping out my stash.

embellisher likes this.
  2. Get the good stuff and transfer them into a bag of the bad stuff.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hmmm. Not bad.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Hide that bag of chips under your mattress.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, I sure do.
    My wife is gluten intolerant, so I'm safe with her for pretzels.
    She doesn't like Pringles, so I buy those.

-Mike

SBassman likes this.
  6. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Humpty Dumpty used to make Sour Cream & Clam chips. They were delicious. I can still taste them if I use my imagination.
    I could buy them and nobody else would even dare to try them.
    I guess that's why Humpty Dumpty stopped making them a long time ago. Stupid people.

SBassman likes this.
  7. Buy Kale chips, problem solved. :vomit:

8. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Get some of these and your favorite chip dip. Eventually you'll get used to them and who knows you might even like them as I do now. Anyway it's very unlikely anyone else will go near them.

Oh wait, I see someone already mentioned kale chips. Well this is along that line...

veggiechips.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, i hate ranch dressing, so any one with ranch or sour cream and chives chips are safe from me.
    I like really hot chips, so that's the only thing that would be untouchable. It was this ghost pepper flavor chip, some company in texas made them. It had more heat than most hot salsas. I can't find them any more.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    As the man of the house, simply command the wife and kids not to eat your chips. That'll do it.

Imaginary Pony, Blu bro and SBassman like this.
  11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I am on a life long journey to taste every unique chip on the planet. And I have not had sour cream and clam. Somebody needs to bring those back.

hondo4life likes this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not with chips, but there's a legendary soda up here called Moxie. It kinda tastes like root beer mixed with motor oil. You could say it's an acquired taste.

I started drinking it because one summer I was working as a camp counselor, and at the break when the snack bar opened, if I got a soda, all the kids would come clamoring around me, "can I have a sip? can I have a sip?" So I started getting Moxie at the snack bar, and went ahead and gave them their sip.

They stopped asking after that.
    moxie3.jpg

13. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    :roflmao:
    My uncle does this with his scotch. The good stuff goes into a store brand bottle, the garbage goes into a Chivas Regal or similar bottle. When guests come over he always so generously breaks out the "good stuff", and the bottle placebo kicks in and they've never tasted scotch so good before. :roflmao:

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    No kids in my house so it's just me & the Mrs. She has her chips and I have mine.
    We've had no problems until lately when she suddenly decided she likes my Cheetos.

SBassman likes this.
  15. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    My dog is named Moxie after the soda. We wanted a Maine-related name for her, and Moxie was the only "girly" name we could think of.

[​IMG]

16. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Humpty Dumpty chips and Moxie. Add some red hot dogs and you got a New England cook out.

Man, I miss living in Maine.

hrodbert696, Tbone76 and hondo4life like this.
  17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    I never have, but my Dad? Insisted on having Mom cook Brussels Sprouts for dinner at least twice a week. Always had her make "enough for everybody"; then feigned great reluctance at "having" to eat them all, himself.... In return, I tried to make him watch (and smell) me eating corned beef hash as much as possible. He couldn't stand the stuff; something to do with K rations and WWII...:whistle: Oh, and I like Moxie, too. Wish they had it here...

hrodbert696 likes this.
  18. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Damn, now I want a red hot dog. I don't how, but the red just makes it taste better!

Monster Truck likes this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I used to buy Piels beer, and Kent cigarettes.

It worked.

20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm the guy who buys the bags of chips that everybody at work wants to snack off of.

i always feel the pressure to find some new and interesting gourmet chip that people will still all like. i myself am all about some wasabi and ginger potato chips, or maybe some dark russet chips (you know when you get a thing of fries and there's the one or two dark-looking fries that are just so good? russet chips are like that) but the weirder flavors don't go over sometimes, leaving me with half-full bags of uneaten chips.

it's kinda like being in a cover band! just like how sometimes you have to play "sweet home alabama" to make the crowd happy, sometimes i have to give up and get the bag of cool ranch doritos to make the snackers happy.

SBassman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021