1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chipped Nut Slot Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GeorgiaPacific, May 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GeorgiaPacific

GeorgiaPacific

May 8, 2019
    So was looking to replace the nut on my Fender JP-90. When I was taking it out I chipped the end as you can see in the pics. Any tips for a fix (wood filler etc) or just live with it. Thanks in Advance 20190508_215955.jpg

Attached Files:

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Live with it.

And, when you replace the nut, use the tiniest drop of glue.

3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    If you saved the chip, I would glue it back in with a drop of thick CA, then file the edge of the chip so it doesn't catch on the nut and pop back off in the future, the next time you remove the nut.

digmeout likes this.
  4. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    if your feeling like a sculpture you could find a piece of scrap rosewood, sand some off till you have a little pile, mix with a little wood glue to make a paste..apply it and shape it

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have never encountered a situation where it was appropriate to use wood filler on a bass guitar.

JLS and Turnaround like this.
  6. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    sop on small chip-outs is to make some fine saw dust of the appropriate wood species and mix in ca glue or epoxy. dam up the area with teflon strips, apply, let it cure, and level it off with either a razor blade, small sanding block, or a scraper. it really does help things though if the chip is on hand.

this is also the sop for fretboard chip-outs where people mangle fret slots by pulling frets out incorrectly or by trying to pull out side ways inserted frets (pre 82'/84' Fender) vertically -which makes a fine mess and generates nice billable hours for a repair person.

also an sop for worm holes in new finger boards, filling in ratty shell inlay work for a crisp appearence as well as sharpening up dot markers placed into wonky holes.

granted, a lot of this can be eliviated with proper craft before-hand but good craftmanship can sometimes be hard to find.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019