Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chirping amp (please help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T Man, Oct 23, 2004.

1. T Man

T Man

Oct 23, 2004
    So I turn on my amp about 10 minutes ago and hear (to my dismay) a constant chirping sound. Basically it sounds like there's a bird stuck in my amp. When I turn the knobs to adjust the pickups, the peeping sound either gets faster or slower.

The amp is a Fender Bassman 25 and the bass is a Fender Deluxe Zone. This is the first time I have heard this sound.

I'm a beginner at playing and I know pretty much nothing about the technicalities of my bass, so this situation is kind of confusing (and not to mention a little scary) for me. The last thing i want to have to do is buy a new amp or bass.

Are my pickups screwed up or is my amp broken or what? :help:

TIA,

Chris

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is your canary missing?????

sounds like more of an amp issue. If your bass is active you could try replacing the battery, but i doubt that's it.

3. rynkc26

rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    my behringer 3000t head does it all the damn time and im just gonna get rid of it and buy a new ampeg head, but thats the easy way. another way is to turn down ur gain and adjust ur trebel and mids cuz usually ur cab cant handle the hrtz that ur head is producing. one way i got it to cut down was to buy a bass equalizer pedal. the boss bass equalizer is the best and u can cut ur frequencey through there and it should help a little. if all else fails get a new amp or cab.
    ry

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    tweeter, maybe? i was getting a similar sound from my TNT... so tonight i took the tweeter out... problem solved.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm guessing it's more of an electronics issue within the amp. The fact that it's occilating and that you can control the occilations with the knobs on the amp would point to a fault in the electronics.