Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chis Wolstenholme

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rporcupine, Dec 2, 2004.

1. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Does any one know what pedal Chris Wolstenholme uses in his songs? umm, he uses it in hysteria and time is running out. I know its distortion/overdrive but what exact model is it?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Zvex Wooley Mammoth and Akai Deep Impact synths.

For the record, you can get very muse-like tones out of any bass OD/dist pedal and an octaver, running together. Its what I use(d) for my bands cover of Hysteria.

Just like matt does for his distortion sounds.

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    You're not wrong. I also run the Boss ODB-3 and Boss OC2 together and they sound great.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Are you implying that you are Chis Wolstenholme, or you get a similar sound to him from your ODB-3 and OC2.

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    In my dreams. I'm just saying that the ODB3 and OC2 together gives a great heavy sound. I think this was implied by an earlier post too

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    A while ago some kind soul posted a picture of his board (could have been quite old) I've sesarched high and low and can't find any pictures.. can anyone help. I'm really intrigued by some of his sounds and can get pretty close to them using a deep impact, digitech synth wah and an old boss hm2- just wondering how he does it.

7. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    http://musegear.fobbedoff.net/

Hope this helps.

8. Okay... Now I've tried some tips here..

I've seen many places that a overdrive pedal + a octaver will give you the sound used in hysteria. Actually, I just can't see what the octaver does here.. In my opinion the sound is much more like without the octaver.

I know I'm probably wrong, and I've just mixed in an octaver-sound from my boss gt-6b, but anyway.. I just can't see how an octaver will help me find this sound.. :meh:

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    use an octave synth patch on your GTb6