Choice for Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Rockman Bass Ace

1 vote(s)
  2. Dean

2 vote(s)
  3. No amp, hit the strings really hard

7 vote(s)
  4. other (please specify)

12 vote(s)
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am conidering buying an inexpensive headphone amp. I looking for opinions on the Rockman bass Ace and Dean amps, or any others that may be out there.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Korg Pandora. It also has stuff like rhythm tracks, tuner, effects etc.
  3. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i don't know what price range your looking in, but i use a bass pod for a 'headphones amp'. it's not why i originally bought it, but that's pretty much what it's been downgraded to. imo, it works well in that respect...

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I second Tsal's choice.

Straight-up headphone amps seem inexpensive, initially. But since they are limited to simply letting you hear your own bass;

- they get tiresome rather quickly and are often tossed aside
    - they don't have any features that will actually help make you a better bassist, such as playing along with a CD and regulating the song's key or playing with decent rhythm tracks

When I originally shopped for one of these units, it seemed like I could save over $100 by NOT buying the Pandora. But am I glad I went for the Korg Pandora!!!

It never gets tiresome and because I use it all the time, I'm getting more value for my money. I could have spent much less money on a Dunlop Ace. But if you don't use it, which unit is actually less expensive???
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I resently bought PX4B combined with a walkman its a great on the go practice tool.

Great I highly recomend!:D

6. Pocket Rockit Bass STD sells for $50 or less new & has the stero aux in as well as on-board chorus, distortion and EQ. While the features of the Pandora are nice, you really can do a lot with a little with the less expensive unit. A previous poster made a good point about getting features that will make you a better bassist. He left out one ingredient: imagination. If you have it, then you can innovate your own ideal practice rig, with as much or as little as you may need.
  7. jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used a Boss Play Bus HA-5 for over ten years until it finally stopped working. It's actually designed for guitar, but it works well for bass. Boss hasn't been making them for several years now but you can probably find a used one really cheap, like this one on Ebay:

These days I'm using a Bass Pod and a Raven Labs PHA-1 with a Rio Volt CD player, mini disc or my computer's soundcard output. It isn't cheap but it sure sounds good.

8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This is a very neat gadget! All you need at a reasonable cost.

And once you, perhaps, grow out of it, you have saved for a pod or Pandora (will take years.;) )
  9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Where can you find it?
  10. Hiway61

Nov 24, 2001
    SE Pennsylvania
    One more vote for the Korg Pandora. I especially like being able to run my discman or mp3 player into the aux input and play along.
  11. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably go for the Pocket Rockit since I do not have $200 for the PX4B :( I will check them out at GC next week.
  12. BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    For cheap and dirty, I'll go with the Pocket Rocket mentioned above. I have had it for a year or two and it works fine. Does not add a lot in the tone department, but for just plain amplification for headphones it's fine.

I use the Aux input for metronome and CD inputs. Works fine.
  13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Zoom bfx708, It's no good as an fx unit , but great for practice - built in drum machine (of sorts) too!
  14. i was considering the pandora px3b or 4b but i recently put my pocket rock-it on ebay and while testing it i became more appreciative of the built in jack... i used to use my zoom ps-02 as a headphone amp but it was such a pain in the ass to deal with and move around fussing with cables and crap... the pocket rockit plugs right into your bass and theres no further effort needed... ive been using it for a few days and im thinking i might take it off ebay and keep it... ease of use is key
  15. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    My friend had a pocket Rockit and it worked o.k. for him. he actually used it as a effect for his guitar before going into his amp. although he is not always real gentle withh equipment and is started to break (loose switches and broken solder connections, probably dropped it too!) anyway its good for $50, if you got better headphones use them instead of the supplied. BE GENTLE and it should last you a while!
  16. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    i have the Korg PX3B, picked it up used and love it.

Other wise I would build my own, especially if you are interested in electronics.
  17. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    Hey there! I've spent alot of time, checking out headphone amps ovr the years. Because I work nights, and when I'm not working nights is when I want to play- and for some strange reason, others fhink the nght is for sleeping- go figure. anyway, I tried and have rockman, pandora, etc. forget them if you do not want your ears aching after a 1/2 hour, as well as headhone hiss. forget the amp combo and heads with built in headphone amps, like swr workingman series, forget high priced models- the one place they all cut price is one the headphone circuit, usually a lead off the speaker line, as in swr 750. spent a few greenies and buy the ravenlabs pha1. not only is it the best sounding headphone amp, better than my
    macintosh stereo, but 18 volt battary operation, wall plug adaptor. And a increible tone altering
    pre-amp you can use for straight up fat, deep tones in front of your head. and it lets others sleep, or not hear our practice takes. I've tried
    ever combination, all the dealers and other players recommended. the pha1 is the real deal. no I do not work for ravenslab, date the boss's daughter, and not even trilled with the whole line , Oh Yeah-you can mix in other instruments, cd's,
    do stereo out things and have two headphones listening aat same time with it. jam with a bud. later
  18. yeah thats true... even with the volume low my ears hurt after using it... id like the korg but dealing with cables sucks if you wanna move around
  19. Nice topic. Bump.

I have the Korg Bass Pandora PX4B. I like it, although its not that plug and play.

I also like my Peavey Microbass with headphones. Clean and punchy, although it sounds quite compressed.

I'm on the lookout for such a Raven Labs PHA-1. But I don't know if they are for sale in Europe.
  20. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Ditto for me too. I've got a PX3B and love it.

I also have a pocket rockit, which I don't much care for. The swing-out plug doesn't extend quite far enough, so if you're using it on a bass with an angled, recessed jack like certain Fenders and Ibanezes, you can't plug it in far enough to make an adequate connection, and have to use a short patch cable between it and the bass. It also seems kinda cheesy in terms of quality.

I agree, and that's why I recently bought a Tascam CD-GT1 portable guitar trainer. It's got a built-in headphone amp and a cd player and a few effects as well. If you haven't seen one of these, you might want to have a look.