1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choice: GK NEO 412 -or- 2 x GK NEO 212's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deserted, Nov 1, 2010.

1. deserted

deserted

Oct 21, 2010
    I have recently purchased a GK Fusion 550 and are playing through an AMPEG SVT410HLF.
    I'm selling the Ampeg Cab and need to make a decision:
    Do I buy 1 x NEO 412 -or- the 2 x NEO 212's?
    I have read tons of posts on the NEO412 and have convinced myself that I should buy - one - HOWEVER I live in Australia and it is hard to get hold of these cabs.. I can't get one until January (3 months)! --> I CAN get NEO212's though.

Apart from the superb sound that the Fusion produces with the NEO cabs, my objective is to get high volume and minimal distortion (The Ampeg distorts with the Fusion).

Now from the many posts I have read the NEO 412 will certainly meet my objectives. BUT will the 2 x NEO 212's do the same job? I am fairly ignorant with regards to the technical aspects of this matter.

Apart from the obvious portability and flexibility of buying 2 x NEO 212's -- would I be cutting myself short by not waiting for the NEO412?

I would appreciate any responses, even though I know the Fusion and Neo's have been flogged to death on this forum.

2. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Personally, I think going the 2x212 route is the way to go, especially if you're doing a lot of local stuff....... it's all about versatility. It's nice being able to just bring one smaller cab for smaller engagements. The 2 cabs will certainly do the job of the 1 412.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes

No

MM

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Can't comment on the 4x12 but the dual 2x12 setup is great. You have the option of bringing only one cab and you can stack them vertically.

5. sigam68

sigam68

Oct 6, 2010
    NoHo, CA
    I recently faced the same dilemma and was opting for the 2-2x12 set up for portability and such but what made the decision for me was the price on the 4x12 cab. I picked it up from a guy on craigslist for 350 new and now I thoroughly enjoy the 4x12 but still would like the like flexibility of the 2-2x12 setup just my .02

6. I live in Melbourne and faced the same dilema myself...

I'll let my pics convince you!

IMG_1553.

I sometimes run them as above if room on stage, more often than not they get stacked like below...

IMG_2081.

7. deserted

deserted

Oct 21, 2010
    Ok, I'm convinced... It will be more expensive.. your feedback has been very helpful and valuable. Hey great pics Anachyok.. Nice Bass too!! I liVe 3 hours from melb.. will head to the Bass Centre this Friday to see what sort of deal I can get!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While it will be a bit more expensive, I am sure that you will find many venues where just one Neo212-II and the Fusion 550 is enough, so hopefully you can take advantage of the added flexibility. Two of those cabs is going to make for a killer rig, for sure! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

9. No worries mate - PM me if any questions. I got mine from bass centre too, great place to shop. I recently got a couple of GK covers in to protect the cabs whilst transporting. Well worth it IMHO!

That bass is a stunner hey :)

10. Very true! I often gig my above set up with only 1 cab too! Makes it really flexible.

The biggest deal breaker for me with the 412 was the lack of side handles...i don't have a wagon, so trying to lift into back seat of sedan without side handles was gonna be a challenge.

11. deserted

deserted

Oct 21, 2010
    I picked up the last Neo 212 from the Bass Centre and have the other one on back order (jan delivery bummer). I took it for a run with a couple of different bands in different rooms and the single cab performed well.. nice and tight, punchy.. good bottom end... It needs the other cab though.. I actually hooked it up with an old 410 that I have and it sounded "big"... I just hope that the other 212 will give me the same sound... I trust it will .. there are plenty of people happy with that combo + the Fusion.. thanks for the feedback anyway..

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I just bought a used Neo412 and its a monster with my new MB500 micro head. I am thinking of trading the cab in for a pair of Neo112 cabs or a single 4 ohm Neo212 as this cab is really overkill for me and hard to transport in my tiny car. What a cab though!