1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choice of amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flensted, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Flensted

Flensted

Jul 9, 2012
    Hello TB!
    I have been wanting a new amp for some time, as my current 15w starter amp isn't cutting it anymore. I will mostly be playing in my own room, but I will occasionally be gigging at small venues and such. I am basically looking for some guidance for what I should be getting :)

I have found a few used stacks that seem quite cheap, but I know nothing of the quality etc., or if I even should be getting a stack.
    The first stack consists of:
    -Stagg 500 BAH (500w)
    -Stagg BC115 1x15 Bass Cabinet (300w)
    -Stagg BC410 4x10 Bass Cabinet (300w)
    This would cost me about 400$

The second consists of:
    -Ashdown MAG600 Evo 2 (600w)
    -Hartke VX410 (400w)
    This is about 450$

If you have anything to say that would help in any way, please say it :)

- Flensted

2. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Of those options I would select the Ashdown head, but I would go out looking for an Ashdown ABM 410 cab to match. The Hartke would be ok but a matched cab would be a better option.

Stagg are one of those entry level companies where there's nothing really to say about them other then "oh hey, look, they made a music thing that kind of does what it's meant to". Ashton are a similar one, Harley Benton are another.

Another thing to note is that you don't want to run a 410 and a 115 together. Long story short it causes phase issues and you sound worse than you could. If you did want to go the Stagg route you would be better getting 2 410s or 2 115s instead of one of each.

3. Flensted

Flensted

Jul 9, 2012
    Thanks for the advice :) I appreciate it!
    I've found another stack for what seems to be a reasonable price (260$)
    -Laney DB400H
    -Behringer Ultrabass 410
    -Behringer Ultrabass 115

How would it sound with only one of the speakers?

4. I would pretty much pass on any bass gear with the Behringer lable on it.

5. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    As stated, Behringer bass gear is a joke.
    Grab that Laney head though.