Choice of woods.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stabb, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Stabb

Jan 5, 2005
    I am planning on making my own bass because I can not find a bass on the market that is affordable and suits what I want. I was wondering if anyone with experience here could just tell me if my choices so far sound ok and aren't too much or probably just bad in general.

I am going to buy a warmoth neck because I don't want to build one, a wenge neck with pau ferro fingerboard, its a 24 fret neck, so i will measure out the pocket in the bass i make so it doesnt hang over.

The body will be mahogony with a figured walnut top, finished in tung oil. The knobs I will try to make, but I might just order some from THG. I want to have a matching backplate and pickup covers but I don't think I can cut them out, and you can order them from THG but I might try to make them out of extra walnut I would have left over. For pickups, I cant decide on passive or active. I have active in my bass right now but for simplicty sake on my first bass I may go passive. Also, the body shape will have a cut out to accesss the extra frets and it will look similar to a jazz but smaller and with a bit of a concaved back like a thumb.

When it comes to the sonic properties of the wood, I think the combinations are ok. But any advice is apreciated.
  2. schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    wenge is very dense and mahogany isn't. this bass will tend to be neck-heavy. if it's a 4 string, it'll probably be ok, as long as you watch your body design. if it's a 6 string, i'd reconsider the choice of woods.