Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

choices choices choices....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sippy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Okay I'm getting my tax return back in a few weeks. I'm looking to get a new head. So any suggestions out of these 3?

Eden VT.40 $640

<A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=482534">Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 $300</a>

<A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=485030">Ashdown MAG 300H 300W $300</a>

<A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=485031">Ashdown MAG 300R 300 Watt $300</a>

More Information:
    If I buy the Eden, I will not have money for a cab for a long time. The Eden is also 13 years old. With either of the Ashdowns or the GK I will have the money for the cab that I want. Both Ashdowns and the GK are brand new with warranties.
    I play 99.99% jazz and very very rarely I break out with some blues tunes. I have also begun to slap more often for some reason. Not very big venues, the biggest venue would be my college auditorium, and I rarely use my own rig for that anyway. Thanks guys.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    do you have no cab now??

I like a different "eden" idea. you could find a WT300 $400 used on ebay or better yet a WT400 for about $500. I think I'll be getting a Wt300 from a coworker after my refund comes back, or should I get a WT550!? naaaaaa got other bills....:mad:

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea I have NO cab right now.. so it's either I buy an Eden head and not use it for a while... or I can get the GK or Ashdowns and use them right away.... I dunno. I'm not in a hurry, it just seems pointless to buy something I can use, and I also hear such good things about the ashdowns and GK, that's why I asked.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Which cab(s) did you have in mind? Also check out the overstock thing on www.avatarspeakers.com. Dave has a floor model of the Ashdown in good condition for like $240.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    The ampeg 4x10.. Thanks for the link i'm checking it out now :)

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I just made my decision. Between your avatarspeakers.com link, and the GK Backline line from Musiciansfriend. I have made up my mind. My return will get here early next week. If the Ashdown is sold by then from avatar, then I will go with the GK. As for the cab I'll go with the GK backline 410 cab.
    It's 300 Watts, I dont' think i'll find a venue anytime soon where I will need more :) especially with a punchy 410! :)

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Avatar cabs are also very good. With the cabs (ideally, you would probabally want the 410, 212, or 115), you can get a special deal on the Ashdown head. Thats a combination worth checking out. I would actually recommend against the GK stuff. Their higher end stuff is very good, but the lower end doesn't have a great reputation...

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Okay I decided to get a Gallien Krueger 800RB head from The Clap here at TB. My next order of business is the cabinet.

I can get an Aguilar 410 but it's about $80 more than I want to spend although If it's miles ahead better than the others I will mention, I'll get it. <A href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601034">Aguilar</a>

Next choice is the GK 410 This is how much I would like to spend, and this has casters and a cabinet cover. But I dont' know how it compares to the others. <A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601054"> GK 410</a>

Next is the Avatar 410. it's $40 more than I want to spend but I don't mind that really. <A href="http://www.avatarspeakers.com/b410.htm">Avatar</a>

Just let me know what you think of these, with the head i'm purchasing. Thanks a lot guys!

Mike

9. I am not a fan of most 410s due to the weight; however, I have played the Aggie S410 in a 250 seat venue and heard others playing the S410 and the Avatar Delta 410 in similar venues. I have not heard the GK you linked to. The GKs I have played and liked have been the RBH and SBX series cabs. The GK Backline cabs have not had a good reputation here on Talkbass.

My preference would be to buy the Aggie S410. I think it is better built, smoother and louder than the Avatar with the same amp (AG500) and the same bassist in the same band. If that $80 is just too much (it would be for me these days) then I would go for the Avatar or I would look for a used cab. Used is an excellent way to go on a budget. My last cab purchase was a superb 212 guitar cab loaded with Celestions for $75.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea I figured the GK was a not so good cab. I think I may just go with the avatar. $40 is a lot of money to me these days. Thanks for the info! you think the Head and avatar cab rig will get me through larger venues?

11. I don't know the band you will be playing with. I get by with my Ashdown Mag 200 115 combo with venues of 200 to 300 seats. But I play 1930's through mid 1960s country, western swing, rock, rockabilly, r&b, blues, etc. with a group of 45 to 60 year olds. We emphasize overall sound mix and don't do much competing with each other. I like the 800RB head a lot and I think the Avatar cab should be good for most applications. You say you play mostly jazz with the largest venue being your college auditorim. I've seen some college auditoriums that seat up to 2000 people, but I've never seen one without a sound system that you could use for reinforcement. I think you will have a very nice rig.

12. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I would go for either one of the two Ashdowns..not sure what the big difference between the H and R is..perhaps it was already mentioned in this thread which I failed to read through..gonna do it now..:D