1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choices..Choices... What to pick...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vibe, Mar 26, 2009.

1. I'm looking for a good little combo to practice with and maybe do some garage band playing.
    I've looked around have come up with a list that appeal to me. My Basses consist of a SR700 and a Fender Standard Jazz (Mexico), I'm still learning been playing for roughly a little over a year now. Music type Classic Rock, Some Blues, Budget of about $650 and I will have to use AMS for the pay plan. Funds are low currently. My old amp was a Ashdown mini stack.. had to sell it for funds when times got a bit rough. Now new job..need new amp...
    Ive narrowed it down to these and would like some first hand yah's or nah's from folks that have experience with these.
    Basically what you would chose and why..?? Pro's / Con's etc...

(1) Fender Rumble 100 210 Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier
    (2) Fender Bassman 250 210 Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier
    (3) Fender Bassman 150 Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier
    (4) Behringer Ultrabass BX4410 Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier
    (5) Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier
    (6) Your Suggestion Here....!!!

2. the engine

the engine Guest

(4) Run AWAY from this amp
    (6) www.carvin.com You can get a LOT of combo for that much money.

Good luck!

3. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon

+10000

i have a older style fender 100w bassman and am happy enough with it.

i would check out carvin too, they are definately super low priced right now, so you might be able to get more bang for your buck :)

4. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    How important is ease of setup? Portability? How important is it that you can connect an extension cab? Have you considered a separate amp and cab?

I have the Rumble 210. Lot of bang for the buck. I wouldn't use it for gig'ing unless I were to run the DI out to a PA. 100 watts just isn't that much for gig'ing.

If your budget is $650, I would definitely check out the Carvin BR510N or BR515N.

Couple others to look at -
    Ashdown MAG C410T-300
    Ampeg BA-210
    SWR WorkingPro 12 or 15

Also, you can get a lot of amp for $650 if going used.

Oh, and stay away from Behringer. Not to knock their product, but their drivers seem to be pretty unreliable. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

5. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    yeah i didnt really make that clear...my bassman works great as a stage monitor, i almost always have pa support.

and berhinger...meh ive done sound for a few bands that used their heads. the bassists tone was never anything special. and as far as quality, i've never had anything break, but then again nothing ever seems to be built to last (the bass V-amp comes to mind...plus i was unimpressed with the sims it had).

6. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I haven't heard too much, negative wise, about their heads or other electronics. The drivers though seem to be a different story and seem to self destruct rather easily. I'm sure they get the job done for a 14 year old kid that just started playing, quietly practices in his bedroom and needs a budget friendly practice combo. But any seasoned player that expects any kind of volume should probably spend a couple extra bucks and get a decent amp.

7. Setup and portability should be fairly easy and not require a small herd of pigmy’s to move the whole rig.

I have considered a separate head and cab.. lot of choices there also.. Was looking at possibly Hartke, Ampeg or even Marshall... not sure on what to use as a cab. As long as the whole rig didn't require the same herd of pigmy’s mentioned earlier..It would be feasible...

One of my earlier Bass instructors had a bunch of SWR gear.. I wasn’t really impressed with it. And as for Ashdown.. I do like their stuff... but to me they always seem to be missing that certain something..Can’t really put my finger on it.