Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choices...choices...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, May 7, 2001.

1. Well, I was recently doing bass research for my next axe, and I had a few choices(in an older thread somewhere in Basses), and I now have those choices narrowed down to three, and all it is now is a matter of decision. This bass will be the second one I buy, and I am set on a 5-string, with a maximum pricerange of £500. Here we are:

Dean Edge Q5
    Ibanez BTB405QM
    Spector NS2000/5 Holoflash

I know a lot of you will jump for the Spector, but there is one problem: It's around £600. This means I would have to trade my old 4-string Tanglewood in, but with it being my first bass I am loathe to do it. Please note that I have only played the 4-string versions of these basses(the BTB wasn't even a 405, a 515), so I am unsure of B string tightness.
    I mainly play Metal/Rock, which is why the EMG's of the Spector and Dean interested me. The BTB is touted by many as the best Ibanez bass today, better than Ergodynes and cheaper to boot. It also has the Monorail bridge, locking jack and 3-band EQ. The Dean and Spector have 2 band EQ. I like the Dean for it's looks, neck shape and overall tone. I am looking at the Q models for the active circuitry. The Spector is the most expensive of the three, so I was wondering whether the NS2000/Q5 should be contemplated, after all, it does come in the same finish. Also, would you recommend the REX2000/5 over the good old NS2000/5?

So, bearing in mind my requirements, tell me what you think I should buy.

2. Hey Pantera, what's up?

I haven't played any Deans as of yet, but I've played all of the BTB models. These basses have unbelievable B strings, and have very good EQ circuits on them. One thing you probably know, but,
    I figured I'd mention, the BTBs have very wide, flat necks. I also played a $1,499.00 Spector (sorry, I forgot the model #) and to me, the Ibanez BTB1005
    and the Spector were tied. You'd have to try both yourself to see which one you'd like. I leaned slightly towards the Ibanez, but, before buying I'd need about a half hour with each. I'm thinking of getting a fiver soon, and the Ibanez BTB405 or the 515 seem to be at the top of the list. I'd like to try an MTD Kingston, but no shops near me carry them.

My vote would be one of the BTBs.

Try all three before you part with your coin.

Mike J.

3. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I am exactly in tour situation:
    i have been playing a 4-string and now i'm going to change to my second bass.
    My choice has gone to the Cort Curtbow 5, why don't you give it a try?

4. I actually love Curbow body shapes, but the problem is:

a) I can't find one to play, anywhere. The closest is a Tanglewood Curbow(not good).
    b) I want two pickups, as I switch a lot from bridge to neck playing, and like the range of tones i get.
    c) Luthite sounds very bad to me. Why do you think I dumped the Ergodynes? I prefer good old wood.

5. Id get the spector just for the Haloflash!

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!Dont' get the Dean!!!!

7. Gimme an explanation as to why and I might take your advice.

However, I did play an Edge 4 today, and I'm not so sure about the Dean anymore. The neck had improperly filed frets, and was too chunky. I can see now why Korean basses are frowned upon, as the quality differs so much from bass to bass. If I had chosen the Dean I would have had to order it in the finish I wanted anyway, so there may have been faults with it. Plus, many people describe the Q5 tone as bright and punchy, with no lows. I don't want this. I want to be able to mix the punch to get a sound with no-mids.

So, I've narrowed the choice down to:

Ibanez BTB405QM
    Spector NS2000/5(maybe the NS2000Q/5?)

Gimme advice! The main problem is that I havent been able to test these basses in the same store, so I couldnt directly compare them.